BYC Swim Team

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by MyHappyChicks, Feb 10, 2012.

1. MyHappyChicks

MyHappyChicks Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2012
    Well guess I should have looked before I went to work. I can't believe that after all these years I finally have a bird that wanted to try out for the BYC SWIM TEAM. I don't know what event she was trying out for might have been the breast stroke. I didn't see my sons star when I went to work and thought it strange as the birds always come for there treats before I leave for work. I just thought she was in a nest box.....oops she was in the swimming pool all day. 10 hours later I found here twitching on the ladder in the pool just trying to keep her head above the water. I don't know how but after a warm bath in the kitchen sink and a blow dry she seems to be doing really good. Made the kids put her in the bathroom on some towels and she is sleeping up a storm. I have never had one of our birds ever do this before and something tells me she won't even get near it again. Anyone else ever have a hen do this before?

2. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    i don't know, but i'd listen to her breathing to make sure she didn't inhale some water...poor girl!

3. MyHappyChicks

MyHappyChicks Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2012
    I have been keeping an eye on her and she seems to be ok. Her breathing seems to be good she is just really happy to be out of the pool. My youngest son went and got her and curled up in bed with her. She is laying on a towel next to his chest. If a chicken could smile she would have one just as big as the one he has on his face.

4. Keltara

Keltara Chillin' With My Peeps

My hens LOVE to swim in the pool (supervised of course!!!). I'm so glad to hear that your girl is okay after a day in the pool. You can read about my swimming chickens by clicking here. Surprisingly, they do quite well! You can also read more about my swimming hens by clicking here and visiting my blog.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Have a great day!!!
    Kelly
    Our Country Chronicles

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by