BYC website issues!

Discussion in 'Website Announcements, Feedback, Issues, & Guides' started by Our Roost, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Our Roost

Our Roost Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2011
    ScottsVille, michigan
    Byc website isnt downloading onto my computer properly. Computer message says done, but with errors on the page. The refresh button doesnt help cure the issue. What gives? Is there a virus or something going on we should know about? I e-mailed their administrators but am not getting an e-mail back or a response from them.

2. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

Sorry to hear you're having problems. Here are some things to do to possibly resolve your problem:

1. Try resetting your computer. Turn it off, wait 2 minutes, turn it back on.
    2. Clear your internet browser's cache / history of files. It's easy to do and almost as important as taking out the trash at home! See instructions here and here.
    3. Determine if the problem is because of your browser and/or plugins and extensions. Download a free version of either Google Chrome or Firefox and see if the thing that was broken now works.
    4. If you're still having problems, continue to the steps below:

If after following those steps, here are a few questions that will help us find, duplicate, and hopefully resolve the problem you are having. Go through these questions and reply with all the details of your problem:

• Describe your problem in as much detail as possible!
    • What is the URL of the page that you had problems?
    • Did you receive any error messages? If yes, what were they? (please copy and paste the entire message, screenshots are best)
    • What were the exact steps you took before having the problem? Please be as specific as possible so we can reproduce exactly what you did. Go step by step, provide links, details, clicks, etc.
    • How long has the problem been happening? When did it start? If only one time, what day and time did it happen?
    • VERY IMPORTANT: Which browser and version are you using (eg., Firefox 3.5.9, Internet Explorer 7, etc.)
    • Have you tried disabling all your browser plugins and/or extensions? (Some of these conflict with website features and tools)
    • Have you deleted your internet cache / browser history of files and tried again?
    • VERY IMPORTANT: Have you tried a different browser (we suggest Google Chrome or Firefox)?

For all our troubleshooting tips, please see here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/troubleshooting-byc-problems-bugs-error-messages-other-issues

3. Our Roost

Jan 13, 2011
    ScottsVille, michigan
    I've downloaded Google Chrome ill reputably! I definitely didn't want to switch gears with my software so to speak. I haven't bought into making it my home page as yet until I play with it a little. Fortunately Back Yard Chickens is back up and running on my computer the way it is supposed to function! I shouldn't have had to do this. Internet Explorer has been the backbone of software forever. Don't take it personal, but to me its like buying a foreign car. My heart is just not in it. Thanks for the help. Its best that you check with your software provider and ask why your website is not compatible with other software providers! Cant wait to hear their competitive feedback answer.

4. Nifty-Chicken

• VERY IMPORTANT: Which browser and version are you using (eg., Firefox 3.5.9, Internet Explorer 7, etc.)

5. Our Roost

Jan 13, 2011
    ScottsVille, michigan
    I am currently using windows vista and Internet google chrome. The installation of google chrome resolved problems with your website. I did not opt to install google chrome as my home page. It is only a desktop icon to use as I need it.

6. Nifty-Chicken

Which version of Internet Explorer were you using prior to installing Chrome?

7. Our Roost

Jan 13, 2011
    ScottsVille, michigan
    Nifty-Chicken! My gosh is about all I can say without bending the rules of ettiquette! Your question posed as to what version of internet explorer I am currently using set the wheels in motion to resolve this dilema I had been having with your website functioning properly for my personal uses. I deleted previous Google Chrome installation and recovered Internet Explorer. I was using IE 7 and had not updated since I acquired this computer. I am now using and have updated to IE 9 and everything is working perfectly on your web site. I had an automatic update for Windows Vista but not Internet Explorer! You may want to note this to any subscribers having software issues or noticing glitches with your site. Technology changes are hard to keep up with and follow for the average at home user let alone the guru who makes them! Thanks for your patience and assistance. Back on line with BYC and loving you guys!

8. Nifty-Chicken

[​IMG]

9. Crazy4mypeeps

Crazy4mypeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    Nebraska
    I am having frequent flash crashes and prolonged stalling when visiting BYC lately.

I'm using FF 19.0.2 and Flash is completely updated as well.

My cache is cleared as well. Just restarted the computer after clearing my cache.

Seems that its a possible flash overload, but still hangs when only one tab open and no other programs running. Wondering if anyone else is having these issues.

10. Nifty-Chicken

I've been having flash crashing too, but on other sites than BYC (actually never BYC yet). Anybody else having this problem on BYC?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by