BYCers - Desperate for help - 2 Cats Need Rehomed *PICS*(VA or Nearby)

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Picky Chicky, Mar 30, 2009.

1. Picky Chicky

Picky Chicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2008
    Holly Grove, VA
    My Mom just moved to a senior community and brought along with her, her two cats, Reba and Sneaker. Both cats are used to being indoor/outdoor kitties and being able to come and go as they please. Unfortunately at this senior community they don't allow cats to roam and my Mom has been unsuccessful at trying to turn them into 100% indoor cats.

Mum is devestated that she can't keep them, but in retaliation of not being able to go outdoors, one ballooned up to an unhealthy weight (probably depressed), and the other is eating and scratching her carpet to smithereens.

I'm trying like crazy to find them a home before she's forced to drop them off at the local shelter (they're not a no-kill shelter). I've got a couple calls and e-mails to the local humane shelters, but most were upfront on their websites and machines saying they're at capacity and are no longer accepting surrenders.

I'm going to keep looking, but if you guys could pull together your resources and see if anyone in driving distance would be interested in taking two cats - you'd be saints! These two love human affection and are eight years old - stuck in the way of life. Reba is excellent at hunting rodents... Sneaker used to be, but she's a little slower now with the weight. So worst case scenario, they might make good barn cats but I'm not sure what the lack of affection may do to them.

Here is their profile (my apologies for the lengthy post):

Reba
    Almost 8 years old
    Fully litter box trained
    Up-to-date on all shots
    Spayed
    Loves rodent hunting
    [​IMG]

Sneaker
    Almost 8 years old
    Fully litter box trained
    Up-to-date on all shots
    Spayed
    Is obsese
    [​IMG]

If you have any questions let me know. And thanks for any help. I definitely realize that rehoming these two are going to be like trying to sell a snowball in ... well, you get the picture.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2009
  2. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    They are such beautiful cats! They look very content. I wish I lived in your area, they would be welcome in our zoo! I wish you luck on finding just the right home.

3. toletiquesbysam

toletiquesbysam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2008
    Nebraska
    They are beautiful cats, hope someone closer can help you!!

4. Picky Chicky

Sep 22, 2008
    Holly Grove, VA
    Thanks so much for the well wishes! My fingers are crossed that the right person will see this post and think of someone who can help - if not themselves. [​IMG]

5. NancyDz

NancyDz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    You might want to put your location in the title, might attract more from your area to look.

Pretty kitties, I just got a new kitty on Friday night. Good luck!

Nancy

6. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    If they were my cats I would keep trying to get them use to indoor life , most cats will adapt but there stubbern enough to give it a good fight;)

7. Picky Chicky

Sep 22, 2008
    Holly Grove, VA
    Thank you to everyone for the kind words and humble opinions.

For over the past year my Mom has absolutely tried to rehab them to 100% indoors. These two cats carry a lot of emtional/sentimental value so the rehoming decision wasn't made lightly.

My Mom got these two kitties after her entire home burned down and took her other two cats with it. She lost everything. In an effort to rebuild her home and fill a void in her heart, she and her late husband picked two new cats out. Sadly, about a year later, her husband lost his second battle with cancer and passed away. My Mom was devestated and to make matters worse, she couldn't take care of the home and it's property all by herself (God knows she tried). Some years after her husband passed and after much coaxing from us kids, she put the house up on the market and moved to a senior community. Sadly, with the housing market the way it is, her home remains on the market. And just to dump more salt on her wounds, she's now being forced to rehome the last two living things she has from her 'previous life' with a house and husband.

I hope I haven't depressed everyone. I'm usually not this devoted, but since my Mom has been through so much, I feel compelled to try and help her find her "babies" a good home - so she can rest easy.

Thanks again for any help and all the well wishes!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by