BYCer's Grandfather's concoction for egg laying jumstart

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by highcountrychickens, Nov 10, 2009.

1. highcountrychickens

highcountrychickens Head Rooster Jouster

Aug 28, 2008
    Jackson Hole
    I read a post a couple of months ago where somebody posted a feed concoction with cayenne pepper, and a recipe of strange and wonderful things that jumpstarted sluggish laying - I have been searching for ages for this post and can't find it - am I going nuts or does someone else remember this?

2. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    I remember it so your not crazy!

3. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    If you want to get the eggs to come out sooner you might try grasping the chicken by the neck then place your other hand below it. With a slow steady motion move your lower hand towards the tail. Eggs should pop out. [​IMG]

4. vicki2x2

vicki2x2 Super Chick

Feb 9, 2008
    Central Michigan
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    Opa...you are a funny one![​IMG]

6. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    Quote:I guess that means you don't think that would work. I quess I'll have to think of something else to try. [​IMG]What if you placed your lips over their beak and blew real hard? [​IMG]

7. wildorchid053

wildorchid053 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    syracuse area, ny
    i think they need beans as a steady diet.. then they can blow the eggs out.. just be sure to get ready to catch them.

8. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    i remember reading something that a steady diet of greens is supposed to be good thru the winter. Id love that recipe too.

9. JoAnn_WI_4-H_Mom

JoAnn_WI_4-H_Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2009
    West Central WI
    Now I don't feel so guilty.

I needed eggs for a cake and with a straight face told my 14yo and 11yo sons to "go out and squeeze a few chickens and bring me the eggs that pop out"

The boys actually stopped gabbing and looked at me open mouthed. Then the older one carefully asked "would that actually work?" He was on to me. We laughed about that for a while and then discussed eggs breaking in side the bird, etc.

I think upping the protein and the light is about all that improves egg laying in winter. Increasing protein goes back to 1600's farm manuals.

10. highcountrychickens

highcountrychickens Head Rooster Jouster

Aug 28, 2008
    Jackson Hole
    Opa, you made my day!! TWICE!! [​IMG]:lau

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by