BYCers I need To Talk To You All

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by BirdBoy88, Jan 15, 2009.

1. BirdBoy88

BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

Dec 26, 2007
    Maryland
    Hey everyone [​IMG]

ok first off i don't want this to turn into a debate or argument or whatever .. i just want to know what do you think it might be?

My uncle has always had a farm... all his life.. he keeps all his animals clean feeds them way more than he should keeps them warm in the winter and cool in the summer.. all his animals are happy

but lately the ASPCA has been coming to his house threatening him and today they came to his house and told him that he can't have anymore animals and that they will be back to take them and my uncle is heart broken.. we all don't know why

every time the ASPCA comes to his house they try to point out every little small detail

like today they said his coop window shouldn't be crack my uncle was cleaning the coop and crack the window for air flow he was gonna close it back up.

then they said his dog shouldn't be out side AT ALL because it's to cold.

he keeps his dog in his basement at night it's very warm in my uncle house he has heat and every thing ... he lets the dogs out during the day so they can play and use the bathroom and all that.

they are not giving a good reason as to why they are taking his animals.

all we know is that there is a police officer that lives down the road from my uncle and he has called the shelter once before on my uncle about the chickens he said the roosters crow to much and then the police officer had the shelter almost take my uncle dog.

when the police officer has about 9 hunting dogs that bark all day

do any of you all have any answers as to what my uncle can do?

again this is not a debate and there will be no arguing if i see anything of the sort i will have the post close. just be nice [​IMG]

2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Someone must be calling them and complaining. Does Uncle have jerk neighbors? Other enemies?

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

First of all, I am not sure that the ASPCA is anything but a private animal rights organization. I am not sure they have anything at to do with animal control. So... I would call animal control and talk to someone there about what may be going on. I believe it is clear that someone reported your uncle and that is why they are there. Does you area have animal cops? He may want to involve them too.

I hope this gets worked out - keep me updated please.

4. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    [​IMG] hope they don't come to my house - I have cracked window in my coop as well.

5. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    I hate to say it but sounds like the neighbor is calling in some favors. By your tag, it appears you are a SPCA member? Know anyone...are you active? Start calling in favors of your own or get the low down.

6. BirdBoy88

BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

Dec 26, 2007
    Maryland
    Quote:just the police officer that lives down the road that keeps bothering my uncle about his chickens and his dog... when the police officer 9 dogs make way more noise than my uncles chickens and 1 dog put together

7. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    Sounds like your uncle is legit and he should get a list of all his "violations" and get books/experts to back him up.

8. Wifezilla

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASPCA_Humane_Law_Enforcement_Division
    * ASPCA law enforcement officers are New York State peace officers under NYS Criminal Procedure Law 2.10[2] and may make arrests, use physical and deadly force, make car stops, issue summonses, and carry and use firearms, batons, pepper spray, and handcuffs.
    * ASPCA Law Enforcement officers may seize any stray or abandoned animal on public streets in accordance with N.Y. Agriculture & Market laws Section 373 subsection 1.[3]
    * ASPCA Law Enforcement officers may lawfully seize any animal on private property that have been kept for more than 12 hours in an unhealthy, dangerous or unsanitary condition in accordance with NY Agriculture and Markets Law Section 373 subsection 2 provide a complainant has been filed.[4]
    * ASPCA Law Enforcement officers with a court order may make regular visits to any residence or establishment where an animal is being kept to check to see if the animal is receiving necessary food, water and care according to N.Y. Agriculture & Market law Section 373 subsection 7.[5]
    * NYS Agriculture and Markets Law Section 371 permits an ASPCA Law Enforcement officer to "interfere to prevent the perpetration of any act of cruelty upon any animal" in the presence of the ASPCA officer.[6]

9. Wifezilla

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Unless uncle lives in NY, it doesn't look like they have legal authority???

Last edited: Jan 15, 2009
  10. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:I think he is in Maryland, not New York. ASPCA officers in NY are the animal cops.... They do great work too. Here, where I am the ASPCA is a non-profit animal rescue and rights organization. They are quite often used in conjunction with animal control, but are able to investigate on their own also.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by