Bye bye boys...

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by farmgirl1995, Jan 8, 2011.

1. farmgirl1995

farmgirl1995 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2010
    Georgia:)
    So. We're getting rid of ALL roosters except my silkie of course. They are so agressive. I can't even get inside the pens to put water in their or clean it so I have to do it at night. It'll be better for my hens and everyone else. No one has responded to my ad yet and I'm just fed up so my dad is giving them to his friend and i don't know if they're gonna slaughter them or what. I really don't want to know. But on the plus side: I get more hens and a tortoise! [​IMG]

2. Chicken Frenzie

Chicken Frenzie Chicken Whisperer

Nov 2, 2010
    =P Hood choice! Would you rather have some mean chickens who terroize everyone, or some more nice hens for eggs! =P Heehee!

3. farmgirl1995

Sep 8, 2010
    Nice hens all the way! [​IMG]

4. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    I am with ya!! I had experience with a nasty roo or two. I finally made the decision to only have banty roosters if I thought I had to have any!

5. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    I agree - I have Roosters (young ones) who are getting to a stage when all they will do is get aggressive with my girls - I was so fed up a few days ago that I hauled a young rooster out from the coop ( he was attacking two of my girls and he was really nasty about it ) and euthanased him immediately - I have no regrets when they cause damage to my chickens.

Unfortunately it is one of the problems in hatching your own chicks that inevitably some will be male and as handsome as they are I cannot tolerate aggressive behaviour towards my girls - so Phillipe, Blindside and Papa Silkie are all saved - the others are under observation..... be warned!!!!

The Grim Reaper of Roosters........

6. farmgirl1995

Sep 8, 2010
    Awh no:( Poor girls. Thats how mine are. And we just have too many. As pretty as they are...its just not worth it. Chicks might be though:l

7. HHandbasket

HHandbasket The Chickeneer

Oh I'm sorry to hear that! It's like a gamble with roosters. I've known some people who have had some of the sweetest, nicest roosters (as long as you don't get up in their face and mess with 'em), and I've seen some roosters like the meanies you're getting rid of. I would really love to have roosters, but I do live in an urban neighborhood, and there are already a few other roosters close by that we hear in the morning.

I'm glad you have a good one you get to keep, tho. And you're getting hens and a tortoise in the deal. [​IMG] Win/win, even if the roosters end up in freezer camp because that was their destiny. [​IMG]

8. farmgirl1995

Sep 8, 2010
    I know. I just don't understand why their so mean. I guess territory and hens...same stuff that makes some men mean, haha. It really is a gamble. I have had some very sweet and chivalrous roos. But this last bunch has been just crazy. Well if you're ever able to I think you should get one of a very very docile breed. They're wonderful to have around when they're nice. And yes...even if they go to freezer camp, its still worth it. Yay hens and tortoises! And Happy New Year to you and your flock!

9. lovinlife

lovinlife Chillin' With My Peeps

I have three roosters. The oldest is the father of the younger two. As much as I am tempted to try to make friends with one of the young boys (he's so pretty!), I know I have to maintain dominance over them all. The oldest knows to stay away from all people. When he was young, I would pick him up by his feet when he was on the roost and hold him upside down for a while, until he stopped struggling. I do that about once a month now. I haven't done it much with the young boys, but I need to. I don't ever let them eat when I'm around (like when I'm giving the girls scratch or treats) and if I walk past them, I take a sec to chase them away. Because of that, they respect me and are not aggressive. Every rooster I tried to "tame" by being nice to them turned out meaner 'n hell.

10. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    So long roosters! [​IMG]
    I got 3 roosters the other day from a BYC'er that was going to slaughter them on the 14th sooo...they were lucky! I love them!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by