Bye Bye Stumpy

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Reurra, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Reurra

Reurra Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2012
    Nova Scotia
    Well, I really tried. Stumpy was born with a neurological disorder as well as a leg deformity. When he was brought home, he was trampled by his sisters, but he had a will to live. Sometimes his head would roll back along his back, so we used vitamin B complex to help him back to normal, but his legs never seems strong enough, so he learned to scootch around. We babied him and hand fed him to 6 weeks old. At that age we got him some baby bantams to keep him company while his sisters moved to the coop. After the bantams and Stumpy got bigger, we moved them into the barn and there he did well. He loved treats and ate voraciously. The bantams were good to him and he was good to the bantams.

He developed a problem with scratching at his head violently, but as time went on, it got better, though he did have re-occuring fits that caused him to tear up his head into a bloody mess. Then last night, he began rolling his head back along his back, just like he did as a chick. He still could not walk, he flapped and stumbled about the floor of the coop. He looked a mess despite the care he had been given. So we made the decision to let him go.

This morning I sent Stumpy to a better place, but he will always be remembered. We loved him very much. Im not sure what the problems he had were. We are not sure what would have caused the defects he had, but in the end we made the right decision. I now know I was selfish to try and keep him going. I made a big mistake getting attached, knowing the inevitable end. I came to terms with this over the last 3 weeks, I knew it was coming, but I had to prepare myself.

I want to tell everyone out there who is going to raise chickens. You might think they are cute, but they are not dogs or cats. If you have a chick that just isnt thriving, let it go. Its a rare case when you can save them. Its a very rare thing when they live to adulthood. I think Stumpy was able to get as big as he was because of the constant care he got as a chick, but it was only my own selfish feelings that kept him alive. I dont think he was happy. And I feel bad for keeping him in the state he was for so long. Ive learned a big lesson, and from now on, I will not get attached to animals that cant be saved.

I just wanted to warn the new people, I want them to understand that its not a cutsie operation. These animals do not have the capacity for love and affection like a dog or a cat. You are doing them no favors keeping them alive. You will only get hurt trying. Make the logical decision, the merciful one, and let them go.

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    A tough lesson to learn for sure. However, it never gets any easier when the time comes to cull a sick or injured bird, or even "let go." Deep down it hurts, but overall, it's the right thing to do to. You are a compassonate person, you did the right thing.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
  3. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Very sorry for your loss.

4. Reurra

Reurra Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2012
    Nova Scotia
    Ty guys for your kind words.

I had to put down another of my birds about 3 months ago because she was egg bound. She was my favorite too. About 5 months ago I put down a silkie who was having problems I could not identify, so i let it go to save the flock. I think those 2 experiences helped me to make the right decision for Stumpy. I was in such denial, and I had to come to the realization that it was a mercy, not a cruelty.

I just hope he is up in chicky heaven playing with all his chicky friends on a pair of perfect legs, crowing like a champ.

I wont let this sad time discourage me though from raising birds. Over all the experience is very rewarding. I love having the birds around, they are a blast to have and so fun! It helps me to move on.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by