1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Bye Roosters

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by shellie003, Aug 20, 2010.

1. shellie003

shellie003 In the Brooder

May 11, 2010
    NE WI
    Had to cull our roos today. [​IMG] Promised our neighbors we wouldn't have any.(hatchery sent us 2 roos by accident) 1 we were unsure of a friend gave us a baby chick. A little sad now. Going to get a couple more hens though tomorrow... So things will look up. They were studs though...

[​IMG]
    This one we thought was Big Momma, not so...
    [​IMG]
    Here is another shot of Big Momma
    [​IMG]
    Patty
    [​IMG]
    Spike
    [​IMG]
    Spike

2. wildeflowers

wildeflowers I suspect fowl play!

Jun 29, 2010
    Awwww, I'm sorry. After not wanting roos, at all, I ended up with an accidental, and I really like that little guy. I would not like culling him just because the neighbors didn't want to hear them, but we have a decent sized property and are allowed to have them. I am still going to be considerate of the neighbors, so I understand what you mean.

Big momma sure is handsome.

3. Beekercat

Beekercat Chirping

Aug 23, 2009
    Gainesville, Florida
    I'm sorry. [​IMG]

4. mxer

mxer In the Brooder

Apr 24, 2010
    W. Cen. Ohio
    Isn't it sad that you have to get id of such beautiful birds. I am not looking forward to this myself.

5. mrsp523

mrsp523 Songster

Apr 23, 2010
    Western Mass
    so sorry [​IMG] That is a big bummer!!
    My little guy that was in question of being a roo, just started waking us up. I was so excited went and sat on porch and listened to him. DH said if he keeps waking us up he may end up on the dinner table. (Funny since I do the cookin!!). So the next night I shut one of our br windows and turned fan in other window on low. Didnt wake DH, but daughter said he was doing his song in the morning. [​IMG] He is my first rooster, but from the stories I hear we are lucky this guy is great. Friendly, and so far kind to his 13 young ladies. I went in to coop tonight and rubbed his back and he layed there in roo heaven with his head under one of his girls. I would hate to lose him! He only crows in the morning for a while, then quiet rest of day (so far).

6. CCFarms9559

CCFarms9559 Songster

Jul 16, 2010
    Jeffersontown, Ky
    I'm so sorry! Having a roo problem of my own - but can't make myself do it. I live on 100 acres so I can postpone it till I just can't deal with it any more. No one will take my roo - so I feel your pain.

7. drunkdog

drunkdog Songster

May 15, 2010
    Everett
    we got a Roo BECAUSE our neighbor didnt like the idea when we broached it....he is difficult to live near to say the least so now we feel somewhat better and we have a great little Roo in our Mr Bob [​IMG]

8. Mrs. Feathers

Mrs. Feathers Songster

Apr 2, 2010
    Sorry for you [​IMG] ....tomorrow is our day. 6 boys going on a one way trip to freezer camp.

9. LaSombra

LaSombra Songster

May 28, 2009
    Washington
    Quote:lol I like the way you think [​IMG]

Sorry about your handsome boys, Shellie. I have too many roos also. I do like to hear them crow, though. At this point, they're behaving, but I'm feeding these extra roosters and there's no reason for them to be there... no eggs and not the breeders I want. I might build a chicken tractor just for the roosters so they don't eat up all the layer feed and help get rid of all the weeds around here. We're overrun with weeds this year from all the rain.

10. Chickanmanfromarkansas

Chickanmanfromarkansas Songster

Jan 18, 2010
    That first one is beautiful, what breed is he?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by