1. Elizafern

Elizafern Out Of The Brooder

Jan 15, 2013
    Danbury, CT
    Does anyone know if c. Diff can be contracted from chickens ? Im assuming it can be cuz it has to do with the feces. Anyone with info.. please help.. i am curcurrently being treated for c. Diff . They are saying it was possibly antibiotic induced. Have to see infectious disease dr today.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    You might want to ask your doctor, but I feel certain the answer will be "no."

3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

Were you taking something like Augmentin? I read that that can cause it.

-Kathy

4. Sonya9

Sonya9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2014
    Jones County, Georgia
    I really don't think your chickens gave you c-diff but you may be able to give it to them.

It is transmitted via contact with feces so if I were you I would be careful not to expose anyone (including animals) to it.

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
  6. Elizafern

Elizafern Out Of The Brooder

Jan 15, 2013
    Danbury, CT
    I was on flafyl and cipro. They have me back on flagyl to clear it up

7. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Be sure you take all the pills. C. diff can be nasty.

8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Curiously, how long will you be on it? I ask because when my vet prescribed flagyl for clostridium perfringens in my peahen it was for one month.

-Kathy

9. julie42a

julie42a Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2014
    Aberdeen, SD
    Oh good luck with the c.diff! It's nasty business. I got it after two rounds of antibiotics for a dental infection, then had to take flagyl and then vancomycin to get rid of it. No fun at all!!! But it's not from your chickens, its from your antibiotics. They upset the bacteria balance in your gut and let bad bacteria like c.diff grow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by