CA: SL Wyandotte, GL Cochin, Production Red chicks for sale

NapsWithChickens

ZZZZzzzzz....
13 Years
Feb 22, 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
****** PM me to purchase or discuss ******

San Francisco Bay Area: Local pick up only, no shipping, sorry!

I had to place a minimum order with Ideal Poulty in Texas just to get a handful of special chicks. As a result, I have extras for sale. All chicks were hatched on October 13, 2009. They are a week old and are standard sized chickens (not bantam or miniature).

PULLETS:
Yes, these chicks were sexed by the hatchery as pullets. (I believe that they run close to 98% correct in sexing.) I have kept a few, but don't need the rest.

Silver Laced Wyandottes:
Layers of good-sized brown eggs and reaching a weight in the males of 8 1/2 pounds, Wyandottes are good dual purpose birds, especially the White and Silver Laced varieties which have been bred for utility, as well as for show. Three pullets available for $5.00/each.

Golden Laced Cochins:
Cochins came to the US and England for the first time in about 1845, when they were known as Chinese Shanghai fowl. The first ones were a buff color and their size and thick soft feathering created quite a sensation, especially in England. The American Poultry Association recognizes Buff, Partridge, White, Black, Silver-laced, Golden-laced, Blue, Brown and Barred varieties. One of the largest chickens, a full grown cock can reach 11 pounds, with the hens reaching 8 1/2 pounds. With their thick fluffy plumage, the birds look even larger. Their skin is yellow and they lay a brown egg. Although bred mostly for exhibition, they make a good meat bird. Cochins are usually very calm birds and easily made into pets. They are also excellent broodies. Seven pullets available for $5.00/each.

COCKERELS:
Yes, these were also sexed by Ideal Poultry. They were added to my order as "packing peanuts" and for warmth. I have all the roosters I want and need right now, so these handsome fellows need to go.

Production Reds: The Feather Site (www.feathersite.com) lists Production Reds in conjunction with Cherry Eggers and Rhode Island Reds.One of the best known breeds, the RIR is a good layer of large brown eggs and as a dual purpose breed also can supply a fair-sized roaster. The hens will rarely go broody and can produce around 260 eggs per year. Developed in Rhode Island in the 1830s, various breeds were used in their makeup, including Malays, Cochins and Brown Leghorns. The single combed variety was admitted to the APA's Standard of Perfection in 1904 and the rose combed birds a year later. The cock will weigh about 8 1/2 pounds and the hens run about one pound lighter.

Since I did not pay for these, I am giving them away for free. Six cockerels available.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

****** PM me to purchase or discuss, please! ******

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom