Cabbage entertainment for the girls

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Donna Lynn, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Donna Lynn

Donna Lynn Chillin' With My Peeps

I just have to let my fellow chicken lovers know about my girls and their cabbage entertainment this morning.

I think the entertainment was really for me although it is keeping them busy. [​IMG]

I took an apple corer and put in a hole through the center of a small cabbage. I had an old wire hanger from a bird feeder so I looped it through and hung it in the play pen to keep the girls entertained today.

It took them a while but Mildred, my alpha chick, finally started cautiously pecking at it. She pecked harder and it swung, bumping her. She jumped back on Pearl who squawked and jumped back on Mabel. And then, chittering and a quite long discussion took place. I laughed so hard I had to put my coffee down. [​IMG] Wish I had a video of it!

I love my girls and they are such great pets and entertainment. So glad I took this adventure and decided to keep my three girls for eggs. No eggs yet, but until then I at least get marvelous entertainment. [​IMG]

2. pickledpurls

pickledpurls Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2012
    Florida
    The link below is a video of the banana frenzy. My girls love bananas but I am going to try the cabbage!

3. Donna Lynn

LOL! [​IMG] Isn't funny how different chickens go nuts for different stuff? My girls simply adore green grapes and jump up to try to get them before I'm ready to give them.

I saw the cabbage thing once or twice on here and some chicken blogs and decided to try it. They aren't scared of it now. They are eating away at it. I'm trying to keep these girls healthy, happy and entertained.

My two RIR's sort of stick together leaving my BR out like snotty teenagers so I baby her more. I wish that I had gotten two of each now but hindsight is always 20/20. But she's pecking at the cabbage as much as they are. So funny.

I'm also trying "herbal tea" for the girls. I almost always have herbs of some type in my garden. We only get down to freezing here about 3-5 times a year so my mint at least usually comes back and my rosemary gets a towel thrown over it. Anyway, they like it. It's supposed to be good for parasites, antibiotic and antiseptic properties as well as a repellent of sorts. I even throw fresh and dried herbs in their run and nest boxes to keep down parasites and repel rodents.

4. erlibrd

erlibrd Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Oct 8, 2010
    mn
    Last summer I had a cabbage in the garden that split so I gave it to my chickens and they loved it [​IMG] I didn't hang it just put it in their run. So middle of winter and wanting to give them something green that they'd like, I bought a cabbage at the grocery store and put it in the run cut in two. They took a couple pecks and turned their beaks up at it!! They only like home grown cabbage grown with out pesticides.

5. Donna Lynn

Smart chickens, erlibrd! It's too hot to grow cabbage here in the summer but I can in the fall so I just might have to put that on my list of transplants! Very discerning tastes, our chickens have! LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by