Cabbage

Alethea

Songster
8 Years
May 23, 2011
I've read with interest varying opinions about whether it is good to feed cabbage to chickens. The other day I gave them some. They loved it and I thought, "No problem." The next day they had abnormal poops. I skipped the vegetables for a couple of days and the poops look better. I think I won't give them cabbage again.

Cabbage is great for chickens. However a lot of fruit or veggies can give them funky poo. My girls love berries, but I have to limit them because everybody gets the runs. Same with melons and such. So go ahead with the cabbage, but limit the amount they eat. It is just a lot of fiber all in one day. Keep up with the cabbage!
smile.png

No, it was green cabbage and the poop came out yellowish. It's more brown now and, while I don't know how they felt about it all, I feel better.

I fed my chickens cabbage for the first time a while back and they ate so much they were pooping watery cabbage! I thought...ok, time to find another yummy treat for a while, enough with the fiber
big_smile.png
they still love it! on occasion
wink.png

During the winter when the girls are shut in the coop because of snow, I buy a head of cabbage and my husband drills a hole through the center and we string a rope through and hang it from the ceiling of the henhouse. They get greens and table scraps everyday anyway but they love pecking at that cabbage - it keeps them occupied (like tether ball for hens) and gives them some fresh greens. Think your problem was probably too much at one time - they will all benefit from fresh veggies of any kind (I don't feed them onions though).

I feed my flock of 26 one cabbage almost everyday...it lasts for about half the day...they love it and poop is fine (big, but fine)...when they don't get other greens, it seems to be a nice supplement for them. Sometimes I hang from a chain and sometimes I just roll it into their run...

Back
Top Bottom