1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cabbage

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Alethea, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Alethea

Alethea Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    I've read with interest varying opinions about whether it is good to feed cabbage to chickens. The other day I gave them some. They loved it and I thought, "No problem." The next day they had abnormal poops. I skipped the vegetables for a couple of days and the poops look better. I think I won't give them cabbage again.

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Cabbage is great for chickens. However a lot of fruit or veggies can give them funky poo. My girls love berries, but I have to limit them because everybody gets the runs. Same with melons and such. So go ahead with the cabbage, but limit the amount they eat. It is just a lot of fiber all in one day. Keep up with the cabbage! [​IMG]

3. jadeybaby70

jadeybaby70 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2009
    Alameda
    Ha ha ha ha....was it red cabbage by the way? I did this a while back and my girls had bright green poo!!![​IMG]

4. Alethea

Alethea Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    No, it was green cabbage and the poop came out yellowish. It's more brown now and, while I don't know how they felt about it all, I feel better.

5. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

mine wont touch it, go figure? [​IMG]

6. sadies chicks

sadies chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Northwest
    I fed my chickens cabbage for the first time a while back and they ate so much they were pooping watery cabbage! I thought...ok, time to find another yummy treat for a while, enough with the fiber [​IMG] they still love it! on occasion [​IMG]

7. goosemama

goosemama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2009
    Forestville, New York
    During the winter when the girls are shut in the coop because of snow, I buy a head of cabbage and my husband drills a hole through the center and we string a rope through and hang it from the ceiling of the henhouse. They get greens and table scraps everyday anyway but they love pecking at that cabbage - it keeps them occupied (like tether ball for hens) and gives them some fresh greens. Think your problem was probably too much at one time - they will all benefit from fresh veggies of any kind (I don't feed them onions though).

8. shepan2

shepan2 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 9, 2008
    I feed my flock of 26 one cabbage almost everyday...it lasts for about half the day...they love it and poop is fine (big, but fine)...when they don't get other greens, it seems to be a nice supplement for them. Sometimes I hang from a chain and sometimes I just roll it into their run...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by