Cabin Fever and Catalogs

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by biddyboo, Jan 19, 2010.

1. biddyboo

biddyboo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Ashland, Missouri
    So, after weeks of seldom-before-seen frigid weather, snow, gales, we are thawing, running water and oozy mud everywhere. AWFUL outside, so where am I? Knowing my hens are snug in their indoor runs and coop, I'm snuggled indoors with my seed and hatchery catalogs, spring dreamin'. Pages of heritage vegetables and seeds and the most extraordinary gardening tools and woven gathering baskets, droooooooool! Drop dead gorgeous pictures of every chicken breed known to man, in full color, with all the minute details of hackles and combs and leg color and comparative mature sizes and even tiny photos of the chicks that will become the adult hens and roos, Oh! My!! Am I the only one here on the forum escaping the winter doldrums with catalogs of spring wonder? Come on, confess. What catalogs are you inhaling and what will you order to salve your cabin fever? Right now for me, it's McMurray Hatchery , Seed Savers Exchange, and Park Seeds. What am I missing? ~G

2. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    LOL, you arent alone![​IMG]
    I got a Shumways seed catalog today to add to my pile of catalogs. Trying to find what has what I want at the best prices...dreaming of planting more apple trees and a bigger garden.
    No hatchery catalogs, I can only be tempted so far![​IMG]

3. biddyboo

Apr 27, 2008
    Ashland, Missouri
    MagsC, I forgot to mention my orchard and Stark nursery catalog! Shame on me. DH and I were so enchanted with the MN produced HoneyCrisp Apple that we foolishly planted five of them and have the worst mess in our orchard. Mid Missouri is blanketed with cedar trees and the HC apple is terribly vulnerable to AppleCedar Rust, and WE SHOULD HAVE KNOWN to check and then believe the information given on this tree. Wonderful in some places, but not here, therefore this spring we have to replace these. We've fought the good fight with sprays, but the trees turn spotty, then sick, then drop leaves, no fruit...sad. So, on a brighter note, I'm digging into the catalogs to find the perfect disease resistant, juicy, sweet, crispy apple to grow here. I love the anticipation...! ~G

4. Quadog

Quadog Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2009
    I googled "Free Catalogs" the other day & have several on the way!

5. OverEggstended

OverEggstended Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2010
    SW Washington State
    I am axiously awaiting my seed catalogs as well. Especially the heritage seed ones! I SO adore lemon cucumbers and purple italian stringless beans!

6. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    biddyboo, I planted a Honey Crisp and a Red Rome Beauty a couple years ago and have definite plans on more Honey Crisp this year,lol.

7. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    My DH can barely get my attention, I am so buried in pictures of flowers and veggies- have already ordered some astilbe and clematis- am ogling heirloom tomatoes and peppers and trying to choose a hydrangea- drooling over the catalogs is the next best thing to being out there digging and planting!

8. Nyrial

Nyrial Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    Lake Stevens, WA
    Ohhhhh..

Just do it! [​IMG]

(I'm doing the same thing)

9. wildorchid053

wildorchid053 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    syracuse area, ny
    i am so browsing my catalogs and watching the heavy snow falling.. ugh.. here is a spring pic of my crab trees i planted 2 yrs ago.. i have seven in my front yard... hope it cheers you up

[​IMG]

10. biddyboo

Apr 27, 2008
    Ashland, Missouri
    Crab apple blossoms--cheery as can be. Thanks for sending! For anyone interested in heirloom veggies, Seed Savers Exchange has an incredible collection. I can't make a choice, marking one page one day and another the next. I do know that after fighting a good fight against diseases in orchard and garden, I'm ordering only trees and seeds that have greatest disease/insect resistance this year. Happy browsing! ~G

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by