Cabin fever?

Discussion in 'DIY / Self Sufficiency' started by boskelli1571, Feb 9, 2014.

1. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    I admit it - I love winter!! However, I am DONE with this one! It's just plain too cold to get outside and work. I have a brooder to finish before March, more roosts to put up, a compost tumbler and many other projects, but my hands won't work in the numbing cold.
    Is cabin fever terminal?? I have been pacing around the cabin for days now... anybody else got it?? [​IMG]

2. TheChips

TheChips Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2013
    I tell my family now I know why Jack Nicholson went crazy in it.
    I feel your pain!

3. peeweesfarm

peeweesfarm Out Of The Brooder

Oct 17, 2013
    Willow Alaska
    Take it from someone who Knows "cabin fever" by it first name, dress in layers an go out an do what you need to do!!!!The trick is make sure you have a pot of coffee on an hot an take breaks often to warm up[​IMG], living in Alaska for 53 years has not been without the "cabin fever" bug free , you know ice fishing can be done at 40 below , snowmachineing can be done at 30 below ( just ride slower less wind chill) .wood cutting can also be done, building things when its cold just takes longer but can be done lol

4. boskelli1571

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Thanks! I hear Alaska is almost tropical at this time of year?

5. peeweesfarm

Oct 17, 2013
    Willow Alaska
    you got me there[​IMG] , but this am was 14 below, yesterday was 6 below, this has been a "mother nature " screwed up winter , but still bundle up an go for it, carlyns for creamer is good for the breaks lol

6. TheChips

TheChips Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2013
    I have always wanted to see Alaska despite the cold cold weather. The northern lights is such a spectacular things to witness. The mountains are beautiful and the lakes. Here in Michigan its all flat. Being raised in California I never knew people can have fun outside if they dress proper. People here have both their outdoor summer toys and winter toys.

7. peeweesfarm

Oct 17, 2013
    Willow Alaska
    It is cold in the winter , on the cool side in the summer but here lately we have had 80-90 degree days in the summer, pros an cons . pros summer warmer, greener , 18 hrs. daylight, cons summer-Large mosquito's an lots of tourist's , Winter pros no bugs , northern lights , no tourist's. Cons Winter cold lots of snow (except when mother nature is on a rampage) an 4 hrs of sunlight.But I
    've lived in Kansas a few years I don't leave this state ever. lol

Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
  8. Life is Good!

Life is Good! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    suburbia Chicagoland
    [​IMG]

Hi. Right here with you in agreeing about this winter - we're DONE!
    Robins came back on 2/8 in our neighborhood - to find 18"+ of snow covering their tasty treats of worms. Oh, and the 18" of snow is UNDER the trees, so no hope there of finding green grass. I've got ONE spot in my whole yard that's got a bit of green...where I shovel out for the dog to poo. And then he uses the snow piles instead?!

But forecast is for next week to warm up to 'normal' temps. Not this negative temp stuff. I've got 25 meat birds in my small coop who won't even go outside! They might live their whole lives and never set foot on the ground! They're afraid of the snow and don't like the cold...so, if it's not warmer in 3wks, yeah, this batch never got green grass...sunshine and fresh air (because I open their windows!) - but no grass.....kinda sad.

Brrrrrrr......baby it's COLD outside!

9. boskelli1571

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    -17F this morning!!! Don't mind the snow, but the cold is OLD!

10. MoonShadows

MoonShadows The Jam Man

Jan 23, 2013
    Pocono Mtns
    My Coop
    Just got another foot and a half yesterday and last night.

[​IMG]
    Have to shovel out the run again.

[​IMG]
    That lump that looks like Marge Simpson's hair is our bird bath.

[​IMG]
    Maybe I'll just snow blow the whole yard looking for crocuses.

Where is Spring?????????????

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by