1. OverEggstended

OverEggstended Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2010
    SW Washington State
    Ok... time for the silly newbie question of the day!

I was thinking (which is admitedly dangerous). If I am only planning on having banties... why does my coop have to be so tall? Yes, I HAVE read that many people recomend being able to stand up in your coop. But... um... I really have no intention of going in it. I will happily clean it out, just as I do my parrots cages (one of which is 3'x4'x5')... but I do not plan to sleep in it or anything.

As banties tend to roost a bit lower... does it really need to be taller than 4 foot from floor to ceiling?

If not... could it be made from modifying (making cutouts and removing sides and backs etc) kitchen cabinets? This is sorta what I had in mind:

[​IMG]
    This would be the front and left side which is the ne corner

[​IMG]
    front and right side which is sw corner

[​IMG]
    and the back from the se corner

The nest boxes are 15.5"x12" cupboards (like you put over ranges or fridges), The main section is sink base cupboards, the next section is made of small cupboards again... the bottom doors can be opened for entryways and the top for ventillation in summer. The last section is base cupboards that the drawers have been left in for storage and the doors could access the food and water section.

Am I crazy... or might it work?

2. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    interesting concept.

3. Smokin Silkies

Smokin Silkies formerly browneyebuttafly

Mar 27, 2009
    Western, PA
    I have 2 coops, both with bantys and they're very similiar to your pics. As a matter of fact, besides the windows being in different places and your being prettier, they are the same. Mine is easy to clean with a shovel or rake, and I can feed and water them easily. Dimensions are also the same with mine. Mine is about 4 ft high on one side and about 4 1/2 on the other. I have Silkies and Banty Cochins and they prefer to snuggle up in the corner vs using any roosts. I do have a few Buff Orps in with the Silkies temporarily and they use the roosts. I love the look of your coop [​IMG]

4. Overeasyplz

Overeasyplz Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Leesburg
    Nice Drawings! As a`kid we had OEGB banties and they roosted in a 50' tree.. not very low. They were a pain to catch [​IMG]

5. wildorchid053

wildorchid053 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    syracuse area, ny
    if your using real kitchen cabinets i would worry about water swelling and cracking them.. if your building them then you can take care of that part.

6. cobrien

cobrien Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    Oakland, CA
    Quote:was thinking the same thing, need to make sure it is weatherable. most off the shelf kitchen cabinets aren't; not sure if you could treat them somehow if that was your plan.

7. stuckinthecity

stuckinthecity Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2009
    that's a great coop little idea!

8. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Actual kitchen cabinets won't last real long -- if they are made of mdf or other 'compressed wood fiber' products as nearly all cabinets are these days, they will swell and sag and disintegrate fairly soon even if painted, and if made of actual honest to goodness solid WOOD they would be wasted on chickens (and will still tend to warp etc when damp).

The overall idea is perfectly reasonable, though, and many many people use reach-in type coops like that. You might want to rethink the dimensions -- 4' deep will require you to nearly crawl into the thing to clean the far side and catch birds, and moreover you will be leaning your belly onto pooey bedding every time you reach into there. 3' is a more reasonable maximum width for a reach-in coop, and even with that you will end up leaning in onto a certain amount of poo at times.

You'll want a gutter on the low side of the roof, so it is not dumping all that roof water right into the run (and right where the chickens will be walking the most, at the doorways)

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

9. 2txmedics

2txmedics Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Manvel Texas
    pretty good idea, BUT...I agree, the weather elements will get to the cabinets, thus more work later, also....the walls on the run....depends on what area your living in...if you have alot of racoons and such...they can break that, you might want to wrap it or line it with some kind of heavy wire but not chicken wire.

My Ma has as I do dog kennel runs, I havent had a problem so far, but she has, she lives in the country and her chickens stick there heads out of the runs and something is killing them at night, and ripping there heads off.

10. Bossroo

Bossroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    All of the above plus, Have you priced the cabinets yet ??? $$$$

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by