cabinet incubator help

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by RedReiner, Dec 23, 2013.

1. RedReiner

RedReiner Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Monroe, Wa
    I have a GQF 1202 incubator and the back up wafer has died or gotten killed in transport. I can not get it to regulate at all by itself., I THINK I need to order the entire wafer and switch as the one that is in it is original and looks older than dirt. but I am not sure if I am ordering the right part, so asking here, the part number on GQF website is #3122, is that the one I need for a cabinet? I want to make sure before I order it.
    Second part, I have LF orpingtons, which plastic egg racks do I order? the large egg trays or the universal egg trays? my orps lay from medium to large eggs. I have never had any other breed so nothing to compare size to. any help?

2. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    1611 Universal egg trays. 3122 is the wafer and switch thermostat. Being that it's older than dirt you could try to rewire it and clean contacts. It's hard for these to break unless the gas filled disc sprung a leak so need a new wafer only.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  3. RedReiner

Nov 7, 2010
    Monroe, Wa

Thank you very much!!! the adjusting screw got bent and kind of mashed when the unknowing loaded it in the back of my truck.... so probably just time to get a new one to be on the safe side. I can set the temp and it will hold exactly where I want it with the regular thermostat but it would be nice to have backup that works properly.
    And universal egg trays it is. I appreciate very much the help. I found this set for an amazing price, bator and hatcher, its the first cabinets I have owned so was not sure, want to make sure I am getting the right part rather than throwing money at the wrong part!

4. RedReiner

Nov 7, 2010
    Monroe, Wa
    Oddly enough, I just received an email from GQF as I had emailed them last week with no reply, so I asked in here, Anyway. They recommend to just remove the backup wafers as they can cause to many problems... they suggest I upgrade to the new digital control heaters without backups. of course those are close to 100 bucks. So if you were to remove the backup wafer, and your thermostat failed, you would be without any heat at all and lose your hatch... how many have ever had lots of problems with the backup wafers?

5. RedReiner

Nov 7, 2010
    Monroe, Wa
    has anyone had problems with the backup wafers???

6. HatchCraft

HatchCraft Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2011
    North Florida
    I never had a problem with a wafer thermostat used as a backup . The micro switches in older wafer thermostats were prone to stick in the on position necessitating a backup thermostat to prevent overheating. The newer switches from GQF with surge guard are greatly improved with longer service life. Wafers thermostats are still commonly used as simple, rugged fail safe in incubators equipped electronic and digital thermostats. If a primary thermostat failed in the off position ( no heat) a back up thermostat won't help, as backups are commonly wired to prevent overheating and set a couple of degrees above the primary thermostat. I guess GQF's new digital controllers are reliable enough that they feel a backup is no longer needed and only complicates things.

7. RedReiner

Nov 7, 2010
    Monroe, Wa

I did order the newer one, they sent me the email after I made my order. I think I would set it at 101 rather then 102. the hatcher dialed right on and holds steady temp through the entire cabinet. except for bottom tray way in the back. the new digital controllers are almost 100 bucks. maybe in the future I will upgrade, but for now I think I will just install the backup and leave it the way it is. I have the bator dialed in to hold at 99.7 pretty much through the whole cabinet with the thermostat, not using the wafer as it will not regulate. just funny they are now after all these years saying get rid of them... we are also cutting out the door and adding a thick acrylic window to the hatcher so I can see whats going on in there. will make my own water buckets to keep the water trays filled, looks pretty simple.

Salina

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by