cabinet incubator question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by oe bantams, Apr 17, 2009.

1. oe bantams

oe bantams Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2009
    blue ridge mtns. of wnc
    I have a cabinet incubator that has 3 levels do i have to set all my eggs at the same time or can i stager the eggs for different hatch dates i didn't know if it would hurt the 1st set of eggs to open the bator to put in the other eggs.

2. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    its set up so you can have one hatch each week if you don't have a hatcher, or you can fill all 3 trays and hatch all at once just make sure you have 5 days between hatch dates. I put neww eggs in when I transfer eggs from a reg tray to the hatching tray then add new eggs and put the newest eggs on top and the cloest to hatch on the lowest tray. makes it easy to keep trak that way.

3. kycowgirlchick

kycowgirlchick Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a cabinet incubator with 3 turner trays. Where are you all calling the hatching tray or is it simply the bottom?? I know dumb question. I dont have a hatcher and have been doing in 1 big bunch. It would be easier to handle chicks at different times.

4. Buck Creek Chickens

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    the hatching tray is the bottom, there should be 4 trays total, 3 in the turner and one on the bottom, questions are never dumb. I try to do my trays on wed. unless shipped eggs show up LOL. wow I've never done all at once, thats alot to take care of.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2009
  5. kycowgirlchick

Wont the eggs get crushed on the bottom? Due to the turner??

6. killer

killer Chillin' With My Peeps

what kind do you have? might need picture of it.

7. kycowgirlchick

I dont know when I will be able to get a picture. The bottom rack just about touches the bottom when it is turning. There is no bottom rack. We usually leave a towel down there for the chicks. They usually fall to the bottom. It doesnt seem to hurt them. I know that sounds cruel but we dont know what else to do. We try to get them out of the wire tray and put them to the bottom.

8. Buck Creek Chickens

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    is your 'bator homemade?

9. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Yes some sportsman come with hatching tray in the bottom,but not all. Those for larger eggs like geese eggs only have turning trays.

You can set one tray a week, you can cover the tray that is hatching and turn off the auto turner for a day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by