Cabinet incubator temperature fluctuations - HELP

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Yard full o' rocks, Sep 8, 2009.

1. Yard full o' rocks

Yard full o' rocks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2009
    Cartersville, Georgia
    I have just gotten a cabinet type 'bator, designed to hold up to 150 eggs!! I'm very eggcited. I have it set up and running and have placed a high quality digital therm/hygro on each of the 2 trays. The top tray is dead on....approx 99 to 100.8 F. However, the tray below it (albeit only about 3-4") is reading about 3 deg less. This unit has a ceramic heating element in the top attached to the thermostat so I see no way to move the location of the thermostat.

Is this temp difference too great? Suggestions?

Also, I am used to my Genesis 1588 which seems to NEVER fluctuate more than a few 1/10ths of a degree. In this new one, the temp drops approx 2-3 degrees before the thermostat kicks the heating element back on. Is this a normal thing in these type units?

I'm excited about having this unit, but, trying to avoid problems and disappointments

All help is greatly appreciated!!!

2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Add another fan blowing the heat down to the second tray.

3. Yard full o' rocks

Yard full o' rocks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2009
    Cartersville, Georgia
    Quote:Rebelcowboysnb....GREAT CALL!! I just bought and installed a 6" computer hard drive fan, mounted it to the top blowing straight down and now both trays are within about 0.3 of a degree of each other!! Guess that should be "close enough for govt work"!! One is closer to 101 F so I'm gonna tweak it down just a notch, but otherwise all looks good.

Thanks again for the suggestion

[​IMG]

4. Kullas

Kullas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2009
    Ellijay Ga.
    Congrats on your cabinet bator. 150 eggs thats alot [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by