Cabinet Incubator Turner

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by txcarl1258, Sep 26, 2010.

1. txcarl1258

txcarl1258 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    Pleasanton
    Does anyone know where I can buy a turner for a cabinet incubator? I am building my own bator and I want an auto turner. I have seen plans for them on this sight, but not sure if I could make them without VERY detailed instructions! [​IMG] Not a handy person when it comes to making complex things with electronics. Anyway I have tried searching them and all I have found is the replacement motors. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. geosheets

geosheets Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Ohio
  3. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Thats probably a bit small to use in a cabinet incubator. Im sure someone sells the complete turner for a sportsman but dont know who.

This page shows how to build one if ya know someone good at that stuff. http://cmfarm.us/eggturner.html

4. bigdawg

bigdawg AA Poultry

Jun 28, 2009
    middle tenn
    Quote:for a 168.00 you can just buy 3 regular eggs turners and make little brackets to hold them in place. i am building a cabinet type to house 5 gqf turners and a hatcher just like it....

5. swheat

swheat The Bantam Barn

Mar 18, 2008
    Alabama
    My Coop
    If you need to build a large hatcher ? check out the one I made out of an upright freezer. I have yet to fill it up and I have 8 incubators(2 cabinets, 2 roll-x, 3 hova-bators, 1 humidaire Model 50). It is a awesome hatcher. Here is the link.
    Hatcher

6. muddstopper

muddstopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2008
    Murphy NC
    You can save a ton by contacting cbiblis and getting a motor like this
    [​IMG]
    And the electronics located in the middle of all these electronic
    [​IMG]
    And build a turning arm like this one
    [​IMG]
    And your own rack system like this
    [​IMG]

And this
    [​IMG]

7. keaton85

keaton85 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 8, 2010
    This might not be a good idea BUT worth a shot..

What about just going around and around really slowly? just tilt the tray back and forth continuously slowly? I have a nice windshield wiper motor that would work perfect.

So can it always move or is that not good for the chicks?

8. muddstopper

muddstopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2008
    Murphy NC
    You can make a windshield wiper motor work or a washing machine motor work or a whole lot of other electrical motors work. The trick is how much is it going to cost you and knowing how to do it. Most likely the windshield wiper motor will turn to fast as it comes straight out of a car. You will need some sort of PluseWidth Modulator (PWM) to slow down the speed, and their are plenty of plans on the internet to show you how to build your own PWM. You might be able to get by with a dimmer switch, but reduceing the voltage might burn up the motor and could cause excessive heat buildup. My biggest concern is the bulk in the size of a wiper motor. The sheer size of the wipermotor will mean making a pretty big cabinet just to house the motor. Also the wiper motor most likely will be 12V DC which would mean some sort of inverter to convert the AC house power to DC voltages.

I have already been there, done that, using wiper motors, retractable electric radio antennas, BBQ rottessories, and a bunch of other things. Yea, you can do it, but makeing it work like you want it too isnt always easy. I'm not trying to be negative, but sometimes its better to go ahead and bite the bullet and buy something you know works, than waste a bunch of time and money only to endup having to scrap it and start over.

The little motor in my pic's cost $12, its a low voltage gear motor and I know from experience it will turn three trays holding 288 eggs. Chris can sell you the controller for not much more than the cost of of the motor. You will have to make the wiper style connecting arm, but if you can make a wiper motor work, you can figure how to make the arm and mount it on the little gear motor. All you need is a drill and a drill bit.

9. keaton85

keaton85 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 8, 2010
    Good thing I asked!

So, I just snag a PWM out of a old treadmill and adjust the hopefully onboard trimpots. That's not a hard thing to manage, neither is getting the proper voltage to the unit.

As for the motor, the one I have is out of a 98 Volvo V70 and they are pretty small in my opinion. The good thing is I can get them whenever I need, although they hardly ever burn out. So if I can get the motor down to a good speed and a small enough package then my question still stands.

Will it matter if the racks just go back and forth slowly continuously without stopping? That would make it VERY simple, even for one small rack that I have in a cooler.

Edit: or use this although amperage might be off, http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-LED-Dimmer-...?pt=Lamps_US&hash=item19bfa8c968#ht_896wt_913

Last edited: Sep 27, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by