Cackle Hatchery Ameracaunas?

sealer39

🍹🏴‍☠️🤨
10 Years
Aug 3, 2013
Pineville, Louisiana
Does anyone have any Black or Blue Ameraucanas from Cackle? I want some blue egg layers along with either some more FBCM or Welsummers and Cackle has all three. I currently have seven EEs so the Ameraucanas I buy I want to make sure they lay blue and not green. I’d also prefer to order from a hatchery because I can get sexed chicks, I don’t need any roosters right now. Thanks.

I currently have seven EEs so the Ameraucanas I buy I want to make sure they lay blue and not green.
Maybe understanding the Ameraucana standard of perfection is key. The allowable color for Ameraucana eggs is quite a bit more SHADES of blue than most folks realize... some are greenish.
upload_2019-12-13_8-47-21.jpeg

I currently breed bantam Ameraucana.

I previously bred FBCM... good birds, not sure you will get the egg color you hope for. Just look at their egg pic... meh! Plus it says out of stock.

Welsummer.. Hatchery birds have not laid as dark as claimed or regularly even.

My pet chicken might have all of those breeds as well. Cackle... not my favorite quality... but your mileage may vary. Meyers is decent if they have the birds you want.

Good luck and best wishes! :fl

Thanks for the information. I’ve looked at the other hatcheries and decided to inquire about the BYC members experiences with Cackle. I don’t need show quality birds but I would like to know what to expect. The price is right at Cackle but I also know you get what you pay for sometimes.

Thanks for the information. I’ve looked at the other hatcheries and decided to inquire about the BYC members experiences with Cackle. I don’t need show quality birds but I would like to know what to expect. The price is right at Cackle but I also know you get what you pay for sometimes.

My father purchased the Cackle Hatchery surprise a few years back and received I believe it was 52 chicks. He was happy and all the chickens lived. He received some Ameraucana/"Easter Egger" chickens in the surprise.

Cackle Hatchery has been in business since 1936 and sells 202 varieties of chickens, guinea, peafowl, ducks, geese, and turkeys, according to the website.

I think Cackle Hatchery is as reliable and sells as good of quality birds as any of the large hatcheries. If you are not wanting to compete in poultry shows, I think you will be happy buying chicks from Cackle Hatchery.

You have to be careful in ordering from hatcheries. Murray McMurry claims to have "Ameraucanas" female for $4.25. I ordered some, they are Easter Eggers, no muffs or beards. They do lay blue eggs, which was what I wanted, so I'm not upset. Meyer has Blue Ameraucanas females $23.38. Cackle has Blue Ameraucanas female for $8.95. Such a big difference! Unless you order you don't know what you will really get I think! :fl

You have to be careful in ordering from hatcheries. Murray McMurry claims to have "Ameraucanas" female for $4.25. I ordered some, they are Easter Eggers, no muffs or beards. They do lay blue eggs, which was what I wanted, so I'm not upset. Meyer has Blue Ameraucanas females $23.38. Cackle has Blue Ameraucanas female for $8.95. Such a big difference! Unless you order you don't know what you will really get I think! :fl

Thanks. The variation in price is what I noticed also. True Ameracaunas can be very expensive and Cackle has them for about 1/2 the price. Good deal IF they lay blue eggs. What has my suspicion up is that the Black Ameraucana description states “blue or green” for the egg color. All of the other Ameraucana varieties Cackle sells state blue only for the egg color. So I was hoping to get some feed back from anyone who has purchased any. I’m not looking for show quality birds, just some variety in egg color.

Thanks. The variation in price is what I noticed also. True Ameracaunas can be very expensive and Cackle has them for about 1/2 the price. Good deal IF they lay blue eggs. What has my suspicion up is that the Black Ameraucana description states “blue or green” for the egg color. All of the other Ameraucana varieties Cackle sells state blue only for the egg color. So I was hoping to get some feed back from anyone who has purchased any. I’m not looking for show quality birds, just some variety in egg color.
Have you called cackle? I find hatcheries to be surprisingly forthcoming with the source of their birds, and whether the flock is strictly or loosely managed. You may be able to get the answers you want with the right questions...

Meyer has Blue Ameraucanas females $23.38. Cackle has Blue Ameraucanas female for $8.95.
No, the females are $19.95 at Cackle.
https://www.cacklehatchery.com/blue-ameraucana-chicken.html#product_tabs_breed_info

What has my suspicion up is that the Black Ameraucana description states “blue or green” for the egg color. All of the other Ameraucana varieties Cackle sells state blue only for the egg color.
It also states they are an APA accepted variety. Maybe just a difference in who wrote the description, one person with more of an eye for detail than the others?? I find the slight variation in price often becomes a wash once shipping and all is considered. Order from which hatchery makes the most sense for you after reviewing their location relative to yours, shipping policy, availability, etc! No such thing as express shipping to my location even I pay for it and some places will only ship express which cost more but sometimes arrives even later due to issues with MY route. Some hatcheries don't even use pics of their own birds.

Blue is one of my favorite chicken feather colors. :love
Black, not so much. But it is beautiful with the green sheen! :cool:

Best wishes on your beautiful egg basket! :thumbsup

No, the females are $19.95 at Cackle.
https://www.cacklehatchery.com/blue-ameraucana-chicken.html#product_tabs_breed_info

It also states they are an APA accepted variety. Maybe just a difference in who wrote the description, one person with more of an eye for detail than the others?? I find the slight variation in price often becomes a wash once shipping and all is considered. Order from which hatchery makes the most sense for you after reviewing their location relative to yours, shipping policy, availability, etc! No such thing as express shipping to my location even I pay for it and some places will only ship express which cost more but sometimes arrives even later due to issues with MY route. Some hatcheries don't even use pics of their own birds.

Blue is one of my favorite chicken feather colors. :love
Black, not so much. But it is beautiful with the green sheen! :cool:

Best wishes on your beautiful egg basket! :thumbsup

Thanks for catching that price. I didn’t scroll down to see the females were that much more than strait runs.

I did call Cackle today. They stated that the egg color of all their Ameraucanas are best described as tortoise. He said some people will look at the egg and call it green and others will look at the same egg and call it blue. And of course it just depends on the bird as to what shade of blue you will get.

I’ll consider all my options before I order. I do have some local breeders of Ameracaunas and FBCMs I can check out also.

Thanks for catching that price. I didn’t scroll down to see the females were that much more than strait runs.

I did call Cackle today. They stated that the egg color of all their Ameraucanas are best described as tortoise. He said some people will look at the egg and call it green and others will look at the same egg and call it blue. And of course it just depends on the bird as to what shade of blue you will get.

I’ll consider all my options before I order. I do have some local breeders of Ameracaunas and FBCMs I can check out also.
purebred Ameraucana cockerels are one of the easiest breeds to rehome... pretty much anywhere.

Back
Top Bottom