Cackle Hatchery fails?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by cheyfrie26, Apr 21, 2011.

1. cheyfrie26

cheyfrie26 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Ohio
    I bought 15 chicks from there and 12 way dead in shipment. They replaced the 12 but only 12. I think they should have refunded all 15. But has anyone else had problems from cackle hatchery?

2. cmtigger

cmtigger Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2011
    I just got an order of chicks- I ordered 15 bantams, got 18, all are alive and chirping. (I got two phone calls from the PO, they were so loud that I could hear them when I walked into the lobby of the old building)

They did change my ship date to Wednesday from Monday without notifying me, but everything else was great.

I am in CA, so not super close, but they shipped yesterday, the PO got them around noon today. They were packed with a heat pack and some gro-gel that they had eaten most of.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2011
  3. shchinchillas

shchinchillas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    PA
    Ours came on 4/1/11 Ordered 17, they shipped 19. All arrived healthy, and have had no deaths.

I would expect a refund or replace on the lost chicks, not the ones who are still alive.

4. 3chimama

3chimama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    I ordered 20 chicks from Cackle and received 21 healthy live chicks. 1 died a week later but the rest are all doing great at 7 weeks old.....

5. okieinalaska

okieinalaska Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2009
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Quote:Why would they refund for 15? You have 3 chicks still alive?

6. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    Cackle can't help what happens once the box of chicks leave their custody.They replaced what had died sounds like they did great to me.
    Why do you want them to relace the 3 that lived?

Last edited: Apr 22, 2011
  7. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    I was gifted 15 JG's pullets from Cackle. 16 arrived. All 16 survived. Gotta have a talk with their chicken-sexer though. I suspect I have two maybe three roosters. Don't really matter since all were healthy and have done so well. They were shipped on Wednesday and arrived Thursday at 10:30.

Here they are at 4 weeks:

[​IMG]

8. NottinghamChicks

NottinghamChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:X2 Totall agree with this post. They send thriving chicks, what happens when they leave the hatchery is beyond their control. They replaced what was dead and that's what they should do. If you return an item to the store they don't give you a concession item, or an item for your troubles, they only replace the item that you are returning. Sorry for your loss.

9. Tat2d

Tat2d Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2011
    Conroe Texas
    I got a hatchery surprise from cackle shipped on 4/11 and received 4/13. It arrived with 12 chicks, 2 turkeys, and 1 duck that didnt make it. I sent an email off the cackle about it and Nancy sent me an email back asking the total number of birds dead, how many arrived alive, the total birds, and how many compartments was the box. I sent her the info and she sent me a response back saying they are going to ship me 1/3 of a hatchery surprise on 4/25. That seems like great customer support and I am extremely happy with Cackle. My only hope is they send me a good mix and that they replace the turkeys and duck in the order, if not I will still be happy since it was a surprise assortment with no guarantees of what they would send or the numbers.

10. Mandymooligan

Mandymooligan Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    Chino Valley, AZ
    Quote:X2 Totall agree with this post. They send thriving chicks, what happens when they leave the hatchery is beyond their control. They replaced what was dead and that's what they should do. If you return an item to the store they don't give you a concession item, or an item for your troubles, they only replace the item that you are returning. Sorry for your loss.

You know I agree with this and I am someone who got a bad order of chicks with losses, I hate it and I am happy and thankful to say the hatchery will do right by the losses but I certainly don't blame them for what happened after they left the hatchery. One side of the box was caved in so they had it rough in shipping.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by