Cackle Hatchery no longer ships to VA

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by gumpsgirl, Apr 18, 2008.

1. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    I placed an order to get chicks from Cackle three weeks ago. I have just received a letter from them notifying me that they will no longer be able to ship chicks to the state of Virginia and my order is cancelled. [​IMG] I guess the Commonwealth is requiring a test that the state of MO does not and they do not have the manpower or facilities needed to do the blood work that the state of Virginia is requiring. Thought I would pass this info. along to all persons that live in Virginia. No more Cackle chicks, so don't bother placing your order and waiting for three weeks to find out that you aren't going to get your chicks. :mad:

Edited for spelling errors. To mad to spell correctly right now! I know it's not their fault, but I am still mad! Sorry!

Last edited: Apr 18, 2008
  2. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Were they specific on what the test was?? Inquiring minds want to know...[​IMG]

3. gumpsgirl

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    pips&peeps :

Were they specific on what the test was?? Inquiring minds want to know...[​IMG]

Nope. [​IMG] Here is exactly what the letter said.
    The Commonwealth of Virginia has notified Cackle Hatchery that we are no longer able to send birds into Virginia. While Cackle Hatchery tests our breeder flocks for several different things, Virginia is requiring a test that the State of Missouri does not do. Our State labs do not have the manpower or facilities needed to do the blood work that Virginia is requiring.

Therefore, we are canceling your order...​

4. CathyB

CathyB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    PA
    Wow, I'm sorry. That must be so frustrating. I am awaiting my babies to come in and it seems like forever. i can't imagine if my feed store called me now and said it was a no go!

5. GwenFarms

GwenFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Cackle is a fairly small, mostly family run company. It probably would be a big deal to try to run a new tests on chicks there. Maybe they will be set up for it next season. They are such a great hatchery. Sorry your having to deal with this.

6. pips&peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    I wonder if it affects the sales of hatching eggs also.

That might be something we should all know about. I will look on the eggbid site where it lists the regulations for each state and see if I can come up with anything.

7. AussieSharon

AussieSharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Virginia
    wow I am sorry to hear that. I just placed an order this week with Privett hatchery and they ship to Va

8. pips&peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    This is the only thing that I could find that may be it:

B. Mycoplasma gallisepticum.

Hatching eggs and poultry shall not be imported into the Commonwealth of Virginia unless such eggs or poultry originate from flocks that are designated free of Mycoplasma Gallisepticum by the livestock health official of the state of origin. Each importer of hatching eggs or poultry into Virginia shall secure from the State Veterinarian an approval number, after having provided evidence that the flocks of origin are free of Mycoplasma Gallisepticum. This approval number shall appear on shipping labels or containers of each lot shipped into Virginia.

If they are not MG free, you do not want chicks from them anyway.

Here is a number to VA Dept of AG, 804-786-2483, maybe you could call and see if they have added another requirement or, if this would be it....​

9. Sharisr32

Sharisr32 Egg Killer ;)

Jan 14, 2007
    OH/PA Boarder
    VA - Which I refer to as the cursed State - Has had no shipping out for a very long time they have always been able to receive - I run into problems such as these with Showing in PA which requires a health Certificate for each bird which run about 15.00 each just not worth it so in PA
    I only show tinted eggs -. It is too bad you waited so long before finding out - try one of the other hatcheries hope you can still get the breeds you wanted

10. gumpsgirl

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    pips&peeps :

This is the only thing that I could find that may be it:

B. Mycoplasma gallisepticum.

Hatching eggs and poultry shall not be imported into the Commonwealth of Virginia unless such eggs or poultry originate from flocks that are designated free of Mycoplasma Gallisepticum by the livestock health official of the state of origin. Each importer of hatching eggs or poultry into Virginia shall secure from the State Veterinarian an approval number, after having provided evidence that the flocks of origin are free of Mycoplasma Gallisepticum. This approval number shall appear on shipping labels or containers of each lot shipped into Virginia.

If they are not MG free, you do not want chicks from them anyway.

Here is a number to VA Dept of AG, 804-786-2483, maybe you could call and see if they have added another requirement or, if this would be it....​

Thanks for your research Jean! That is true. I wouldn't want them. The wait was just frustrating. All of the other hatcheries are so backed up. Oh well.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by