1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cackle Hatchery no longer ships to Virginia!

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by secuono, Feb 4, 2011.

1. secuono

secuono Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
  2. scbatz33

scbatz33 No Vacancy, Belfry Full

Jan 23, 2009
    South GA
    yeah, they didn't ship last year either. Something about a new law passed by VA.

3. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    I don't know about Cackle, but Ideal in Texas doesn't ship here. I already tried last year. Apparently Va. has some really strict laws governing live birds coming into the state.

4. CrzyChicLady

CrzyChicLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2010
    Whhhhaatttt???? [​IMG]

That's crap!

5. D'Angelo N Va.

Dec 28, 2009
    Quote:LOL..calm down. There are lots of other hatcheries to get them from that will and can ship to VA.

6. teddiliza

teddiliza Chillin' With My Peeps

I think it's because Virginia makes everyone have testing proof for being negative for some of the mycoplasma groups (MS and MG ?) which is expensive to test for, and Cackle reportedly gets some eggs from flocks that are from local breeders.

7. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    I got a letter from Virgina last year, pretty sure I shared it with d'angelo.
    Yes, they require testing for Pullorum as all do, but then also the MG, MS, AI, also require vet heath certificates (even for eggs) and a state import permit for all shipments of eggs to adults coming into the state. The only state harder to get stuff into is Hawaii. I doubt seriously many hatcheries at all will comply with all those rules just to ship to one state, it's really stupid. In their letter, they did say they were considering dropping the MG and MS test requirements, as that was all I was missing on mine. But they did say a second offense would be a class 1 misdemeanor. A very rudely worded letter actually from a state office. I got letters from several other states (as about half now require import permits to verify the NPIP Status of a shipper) All were very polite and well worded. And told you all that was needed. NOT VIRGINIA! They basically dare you to do it again. So all be warned on it, you have to have all that stuff to ship there, or else.

8. D'Angelo N Va.

Dec 28, 2009
    Quote:Yes, you did. I just couldn't remember who I had gotten the info. from and didn't want to just give a name and be wrong. lol..

9. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    Probably should not share this but I know folks who live on the state line they get them shipped to NC and drive them home ( VA.)

10. RAREROO

RAREROO Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:So eggs cant be shipped to virginia either ? What about if they were in unmarked boxes as a lot of them are ? They wouldnt know unless they were Xrayed and that would kill the embryos then so either way it doesnt work if thats the case.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by