Cackle Hatchery?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by FrizzleFreak, Jan 30, 2009.

1. FrizzleFreak

FrizzleFreak Chillin' With My Peeps

Is Cackle Hatchery a good place to get show quality birds, like Buttercups and Millies? We've never ordered from them before, and wanted to know what they were like.
    Thanks!

2. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Most hatcheries sell pet quality birds or production birds. You will probably have to get birds or hatching eggs from a proven breeder. Even with the best of hatcheries, it would be unlikely for you to get show quality.

3. shay20

shay20 Shay's Flock of Fun

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    Well, everyone was telling me that hatcherys are not that good, BUT LET ME SHOW YOU SOMETHING,
    This is a polish that i purchased from a store that gets there birds through a hatchery. And I think he is doing great ,this was only his 2 show. I belive its all in what you feed them and bath them in.
    [​IMG]
    And this is another, yes he has a little to much black in his tail but he is great to breed becouse peaple were telling that he has great quality for a red cochin, and guess what he is from a hatchery.
    oh yay and he got a BB on his first show. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. jab91864

jab91864 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2007
    Northern Michigan
    I think there is always the exception to the rule, but generally speaking hatcheries offer better pet/farm quality. Now often times show stock isn't the best at production..... down side to everything I guess.

5. Cackle Hatchery does have some fine lookin birds. At times can get lucky enough to get some show quality from a hatchery but for show birds its much better to obtain from a breeder that raises show quality birds. Most show quality breeders spend lots of time and effort to improve the quality of the birds .

6. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    I think that excellent birds that are recieved from the hatchery, they are the exception - not the rule. Last year, I ordered eggs from Ideal. One of the Black Jersey Giant pullets ended up being exceptional. She look like she was the bird posing for the picture in the Standard of Perfection book. However, I know that is not the norm. Unfortunately, that was one of the birds killed by the evil neighbor dogs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by