1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cackle Hatchery

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by OSUman, Oct 31, 2009.

1. OSUman

OSUman GO BUCKS

Apr 17, 2009
    Central Illinois
    Hi was wondering what people thought of Cackle because i was thinking of ordering from them next year and am wondering how their birds are. In specific the Old English Game standards.

2. aveca

aveca Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Waverly, NY
    Did you have a certan breed that you were looking for?

I have a freind who buys from just about every hatchery. She said the best quality birds she has ever gotten were from cackles. She showed me a brown leghorn roo and cornish roo she got from them . The leghorn was pretty impressive, I wasnt expecting him to be that nice. she just wanted a decent quality bird , not for show but robust and didnt want the hassles of lots of diseases they vaccinate for you. If you get them vaccinate for anything they offer its cheap. (and worth it - see the disease and emergency page in here for reference.
    It is there livelyhood and she said cackles is a smaller operation - she just gave me one of their cataloges but Im working on my own right now and am still hunting throuugh breeders.. ... I have seen some decent birds from different hatcheries good for what people wanted them for.

The show breeders in here also work very hard at making super nice birds for decent price for what your getting. Depends on what you want..

I dont beleive in slamming the hatcheries, I know a lot of people dont like them, but because they provide many a nice bird for many a family that provides many years of service as well as pets for many childern (even big ones) that breeders could never supply the demand that these hatcheries churn out .

Last edited: Oct 31, 2009
  3. OSUman

OSUman GO BUCKS

Apr 17, 2009
    Central Illinois
    I was looking at the OEG standards but thanks for all the info. [​IMG]

4. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Cackle Hatchery is a good hatchery. We ordered 15 chicks and got 17 chicks, all very alive. The birds are good layers and nice friends!

5. OSUman

OSUman GO BUCKS

Apr 17, 2009
    Central Illinois
    Cool Thanks for the info

6. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    We live thirty-five miles from Cackle Hatchery and that is where I got my starter chicks and turkeys.

7. AtRendeAcres

AtRendeAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    Cackle is the only hatchery that ships turkeys with chickens!
    I was able to buy 6 turkeys instead of 15 (which is a bit more affordable) with them they sent blue & black Polish (that I sold) they were pretty!

Joanne

8. ijon1

ijon1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2009
    gaines, michigan
    Cackle hatchery is a great. Good strong chicks. Bought fifteen got sixteen, two months still living.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by