Cackle Turkey's

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by toto65, Aug 16, 2010.

1. toto65

toto65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Holland, VT
    Has anyone gotten turkey's from Cackle Hatchery? I just recieved a catalog today and would like some feedback from anyone who has ordered from them. All the major hatcheries are quite a distance from me. Also has anyone ordered the meat bird specials? Not the cornish, just the heavy breeds. If anyone has pictures of these birds from Cackle can you post them? I would appreciate any input. Thanks.
  2. Chickanmanfromarkansas

Chickanmanfromarkansas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2010
    I've ordered chicks from Cackle, not any turkeys. I have been happy with my Cackle chicks, they are now about 5 months old, EE's, White Rocks and Lakenvelders.
  3. Lotsapaints

Lotsapaints Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    Paso Robles, CA
    I ordered Royal Palms they are very nice according to ALBC they have some of the largest flocks of Palms and Bourbons and maybe some of the other heritage breeds I really can't remember what all was in the article. I've had wonderful service from Cackle and Welp for turkeys
  4. rcking

rcking Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2010
    i got 4 bourbon reds, 5 white pekins, 4 toulouse geese, and 4 rouen ducks from cackle about 8 weeks ago. they arrived in wonderful condition and in a timely manner. i also must agree that the service i received was excellent considering i ordered such an odd mix of birds.

here's a pic of one of the turkeys and my son [​IMG] or is it a picture of 2 turkeys?
  5. HennyJenny

HennyJenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2009
    Bennington, NE
    I got three bourbon reds and 7 BBW's from Cackle. All are about seven weeks now. The BBWs aren't as big as I would've thought they would be by now BUT they are in with 20 meaties - and may not be getting as much as they would like to eat (meat birds are scary) - that said - they are nice looking birds and once they are in charge of their food next week I would expect to see good growth from them. They are about twice the size of the BRs. The BR's are fairly nice looking so far. Not much to tell at seven weeks but they are healthy robust birds. This was my first order from Cackle and I would definitely order again.
  6. toto65

toto65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Holland, VT
    Thanks for the feedback on cackle. I have only ordered chicks once that had to come by mail and had really bad luck with them. That was years ago and since then I have only bought from the local feed stores but this year I had VERY bad luck with those birds. I lost 7 out of 25 in the first 2 days and one later with a bad leg. Brroding conditions and feed were exactly the same but the birds were different from day one, very hard to get to eat, no energy, just completely different than the last couple years. Since then I have gotten some heritage turkeys and like them so much better than the BBW's that I have almost always raised in the past that I think I will stick to heritage from now on.
  7. Southerngirl

Southerngirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    I have used them several years for everything. Their turkeys are wonderful! I have the BBW, Bourbon Reds and I have also tried the BBBronzes, but prefer the whites. Excellent customer service, healthy animals. Remember you must feed them a high protein feed if you want nice dressed out birds.The BBW are so tender and juicy when cooked, I will never eat another store bought turkey .Good luck! These are from this year and were 8 weeks old in the pics.

[​IMG] They would not look up!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by