1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cadbury & Whitey...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by SterlingAcres, Jun 2, 2008.

1. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Are my only remaining survivors... the 2 babies that I helped out of the eggs, died. One didn't have any use of it's legs whatsoever. This hatch was awful [​IMG]

Here's some new pictures (1 week old) of the Easter Egger and Polish chick...

[​IMG]
    Whitey the Polish... I'm thinking maybe blue? It's flight feathers are coming in gray. It's also starting to get tail feathers.

[​IMG]
    Cadbury the Easter Egger. Flight feathers are coming in too, but no tail feathers yet...

[​IMG]
    Whitey's feathers... Could it be a White Crested Blue Polish?

[​IMG]
    Cadbury's feathers...

Does anyone have any guesses yet as to gender? I know it's probably too early to tell... But any guesses are good with me.

ETA -- I also have a question about spurs. I've never looked for them in chicks, but these two have little bumps where spurs should be. Do hens have those?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2008
  2. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    I don't have answers for you, but your photos are superb.

3. SterlingAcres

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Quote:Oh thanks [​IMG] DH got me a new camera for my birthday this year. I try not to use the flash, I don't want to scare the chicks. [​IMG] So they look a little grainy to me.

4. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    No, the colors are true and natural looking (not washed out or enhanced), and in Cadbury's picture, his butt fluff is shown in stark relief to the darker color in the background. Very cool. (Wish I could help with the question, though.)

5. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    So sorry your hatch went so poorly. [​IMG] Your two babies that you did get are adorable though! [​IMG] I love their names too!

6. SterlingAcres

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Thanks [​IMG]

7. lovinthechickens

lovinthechickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2008
    northern SD county, CA
    -drools-
    your polish is sooooo cute!

8. ChicknThief

ChicknThief Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    Nor Cal
    All chicks have spur bumps. In fact, roosters do not begin developing spurs until about 3-4 months of age. Hens will retain their spur bumps, and in the right conditions, can even begin developing a set of spurs herself. [​IMG]

9. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    I am really sorry you lost the other two. [​IMG] These guys are just adorable, though!!!! Whitey still just melts me. I know your nieces are going to have a blast with them!! Sorry, don't have any guess on gender.

10. SterlingAcres

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Chickn, thanks for the info on the spurs. I just noticed the bumps, I've never really looked before. Attitude wise, in my opinion, I think they might both be roos :| I'm not sure if the nieces would be allowed to keep them, but let's hope so.

luvmy, I know. Whitey totally melts me too. It's got suchhhh an attitude. It gave my dog the stink eye last night, like it was saying 'what, you wanna go a round buddy?'... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by