Cadled before Lockdown was already pipped HELP HELP

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jennyworley35, Sep 22, 2012.

1. jennyworley35

jennyworley35 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2012
    Elmore Alabama
    Today was lockdown day for 2 of my eggs I went to candle them before I put them in the lockdown bator and already 1 was pipped internally freaked out and rushed to bator and cranked up humidity to 75 did not check the other egg both are moving around in there my last 2 one hatched on lockdown day. I'm scared I shrionk wrapped it how will I know how long do I let it try on it's own before you know it is shrinkwrapped?[​IMG][​IMG]

2. jennyworley35

Aug 14, 2012
    Elmore Alabama
    Come on people can somebody give me some advise

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I think your chicks will be fine. Your humidity is a little bit high, but they should be O.K. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

4. jennyworley35

Aug 14, 2012
    Elmore Alabama
    We dropped the humidity after we put them in for a few minutes we didn't want to leave it that high but this morning one has externally pipped so hopefully the other one is ok Thank you sumi

5. sumi

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    [​IMG] Keep me posted.

6. jennyworley35

Aug 14, 2012
    Elmore Alabama
    Sumi 1 has hatched but the one that pipped early this morning still has not done anything yet here's a pic of our new addition. Should I be worried about the other one how long does it take to hatch after pipping the other one came right out took 30 min to zip the egg. What is the longest time you have seen after pipping for them to hatch on there own?
    [​IMG]

7. GVChickenMan

GVChickenMan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2012
    UK
    I wouldn't worry yet Jenny. I'm pretty new to this game but last time (my first) it took around 24 hrs after pipping for a couple of them to zip and come out. I think you should be OK.
    Fingers crossed for you and the little one.

8. jennyworley35

Aug 14, 2012
    Elmore Alabama
    Thanks we are trying to be patient I just hope the little chick is ok I can't stand the thought of it dieing at this point I am also new to this that is why I am freaking out this is gonna drive me crazy I am not very patient at all LOL but I am already hooked.[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 23, 2012
  9. knightie

knightie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2012
    Okay first off what I learnedly isxif they haven't EXTERNALLYxpipped you don't have to worry about shrink wrap.if it had externally pipped it could be.... but you said it had internally pipped so you good. (One has hatched so(g)) now from Pip to chick can be up to 48 hours (can be less but up to 48 hours.)

10. sumi

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Cute! Congrats! I've had chicks go from pip to hatch in about 5 minutes and all the way up to 18 hours, which can be nerve wrecking! How's the second one doing now?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by