Caed board bedding

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by 5acresandadream, Nov 20, 2016.

1. 5acresandadream

5acresandadream Out Of The Brooder

Oct 31, 2016
    North Eastern USA
    I wanted to share my newest money saver. I am using cut up cardboard as coop bedding, doing it like a deep litter method. No dust, and it's all recycled. We have a couple stores around here that let you take the boxes with you when you get groceries, so we have been keeping a bunch and then cutting them into squares about 1 inch by 1 inch. It keeps the coop dry, the smell at bay, and it's free!

1 person likes this.
  2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    That's sounds a great way of reusing and very eco friendly. I did actually see some in my local feedstore ~

[​IMG]

I'm afraid the price put me off but making the bedding yourself sounds much better :D

3. 5acresandadream

Oct 31, 2016
    North Eastern USA
    Yes, the price at the stores is a little high and I was like.....hmmm...I could just make this... Saves a bit of cash, and is a green way to do the coop :D

4. Oneofthempeople

Oneofthempeople Out Of The Brooder

Nov 20, 2016
    Wisconsin
    I like the Idea do you think paper from a shredder would work as well?

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    the shredded paper seems to be very dusty and if some is printed - the ink rubs off. I did not like it. But cutting cardboard into 1" squares sounds very labor intensive. And ouch, a lot of blistered scissor fingers.[​IMG].

6. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    For me personally I would think shredded paper could become wrapped around legs as it's a tad longer and could become like string. Never tried it though so that may not be the case. Also (just a thought) I would have thought paper would mulch down so to speak as its thinner and would get damp quicker.

But as they say you never know unless you try ;)

7. Oneofthempeople

Oneofthempeople Out Of The Brooder

Nov 20, 2016
    Wisconsin
    Thanks for the heads up on the dust did not think about that, You can run cardboard in the right shredder.

8. 5acresandadream

Oct 31, 2016
    North Eastern USA
    I cut the card board by breaking the boxes down flat, and stacking a couple together, then just doing strips with the circular saw. Then take the strips and cut them again to get squares. Super easy and doesn't take much time! My coop is 4x8. I wouldn't personally use shredded paper, I think it would get too icky too fast and breakdown too much. The card board holds together much better.

9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Got pics?
    How long have you been using it?

Last edited: Nov 23, 2016
  10. Mahlzeit

Mahlzeit Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2007
    Long Island NY
    Does it absorb their droppings? I feel like that would become really messy. How many chickens do you have?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by