Cage design question

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jp57, May 1, 2017.

1. jp57

jp57 Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2017
    Townsend, DE
    Hi all, new to the forum with my first go at chickens. My questions is this. I am building a cage around my coop so my girls have a safe outdoor area to roam when I'm not home. I have welded wire for the sides, but am wondering if I need something as strong for the top. The top would be to keep out hawks or eagles. I didn't know if i could get away with the same kind of netting I use to keep birds off of my cherry trees when the are fruiting? Netting would be cheaper and require less support but I don't want sacrifice their safety to save money. Thanks for any information.

2. eggbert420

eggbert420 Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    You could use poultry netting.

3. jp57

jp57 Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2017
    Townsend, DE
    Thanks for the information

4. jp57

jp57 Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2017
    Townsend, DE
    Before I could get home last night my wonderful wife decided to complete the project using welded wire. Now I just need to dig out a trench around the bottom so I can add some objects to make it hard to tunnel underneath. Hopefully I can kick those hens out of my house this weekend.[​IMG][​IMG]

I'm not sure why the picture uploaded rotated. It was correct where I saved it?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by