1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cage Dimensions

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Mek, May 20, 2011.

1. Mek

Mek Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi There,

What is the minimum height dimensions for a cage to house cotunix?

How much area for one bird is required?

I know I read this somewhere but I can remember the link.

I am thinking of turning some premade shelves into a towering cage..

2. Jocasta

Jocasta Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2011
    Quote:I'm wondering the exact same thing!

3. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    My newest thing I have been doing is using 24" by 24" (so 2x2) rabbit cages from TSC (Tractor supply). They hold a good 6-7 (Shelley had to remind me that my birds are big...so 20 little guys can't cut it [​IMG] ) Inside joke I guess...

There really isn't a set dimension for these birds. A bit trial and error and Coturnix don't bounce too high if the cages are short and you raise them young. I have Aviary cages and those ware rabbit hutches, soon I will have spare dog cages after my chicken pen construction is finished. So you can house these boogers in anything you desire.

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    The minimum height requirement is 12" to 15". They don't roost and rarely flush so you basically need enough height so the males have enough room to 'stand proud' and crow their little hearts out. Most all of my cages have been at least 24" but they were made for rabbits. I did have one that I made for my jumbo browns that was either 11" or 12" and I didn't have any fertility problems or anything like that.

Space requirement is between .5 and 1 sq. ft. per bird. Personally, .5 sq. ft. per seems a bit like a battery cage, I try to stick between .75 and 1 sq. ft. But as I've said on here a million times, it also depends on the size of your cage. I wouldn't want to have more than 5 birds in a 2' x 2' but was fine having 14 in a 2 x 4. If they looked cramped, they probably are. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by