Cage dropped on chick's foot.

ilovemychickies

Songster
12 Years
Oct 10, 2007
Just north of Dallas Tx.
Hi all, I was just cleaning out my chicks' cage and when I sat the top of the cage down, it landed on one of my chick's feet. I would guess that she's about 4 weeks old. She walks on it just fine, but whenever she's standing still she has it picked way up off the ground. Is there anything I can do? I feel so like such a bad chicken mommy.
hit.gif
Thanks in advance.

Ashleigh

awwww.... :aww
Accidents happen....I dont think it is a bad thing her holding it up in the air...she is staying off it and giving it a chance to heal and avoiding pain.

It probably hurts-
you didn't do it on purpose.I would watch her closely and maybe put neosporin on it- maybe even bring her inside for e aew days for TLC.some ppl give aspirin in the water for pain - and it should help with swelling I guess- but I wouldn't on a baby.You aren't a bad chicken mommy- just a human one.

hugs.gif
Thanks y'all. She's doing a little bit better now. She's still holding it up, but not quite as much. It doesn't seem to be bothering her as much as it was. I'll go put a bit of neosporin on it. Will she try to eat it off? Right now my chicks live in my sunroom, so it will be easy to watch her. Thanks so much! I really appreciate it.

keeping her nice and warm will help the healing process. I doubt it is broken, but once she is able to put her weight on it (stand) have a look for any severe mishapenness in the toes...if you see this then tape the toes in the correct position (place foot on a strong tape then ensure toes are in correct position) with another piece of tape on top of that...trim.

Back
Top Bottom