1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cage free is better?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by GloriaH, Dec 4, 2007.

1. GloriaH

GloriaH Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2007
    Watertown, Tennessee
  2. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Mother Earth News has had some great articles about cage free/free range eggs and how they're healthier than store bought mass produced eggs. [​IMG]

3. GloriaH

GloriaH Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2007
    Watertown, Tennessee
    After reading this articel I have my doubts. If I had to buy eggs from the store I would go with Free Range or Organic.

4. blue90292

blue90292 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    Rosharon, TX
    the article states:

Brown: Brown eggs are produced by brown-feathered hens. There is no nutrient difference between brown and white hens fed identical diets.

now, we know THAT's not true! that's like people who think there are only white chickens in this world.

5. MiniDriver

MiniDriver Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2007
    Massachusetts
    I dread the last line that if Bird Flu comes to the US, all birds will be required to be kept inside at all times to avoid contagion. That will be applied to backyard farmers as well as industrial chicken producers.

I just don't think birds that are inside all the time can possibly be as healthy (without antibiotic use) as birds that get fresh air and sunshine on a regular basis.

6. adoptedbyachicken

adoptedbyachicken Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

In some areas that is already law, chickens have to be houses with rooves and in no way can they come on contact with wild birds. So at best imagine a huge hay shed type building with netting sides and a roof. At least then they would have fresh air and sunshine iwth the chance of catching a bug.

Thing is it just can't be enforced. For a big producer they would show up but not every backyard farm so it's not worth the paper it took to get it written.

7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Quote:Hahaha, that one cracked me up too! But my sexlinks are black, doesn't that mean I get black eggs?

8. 1acrefarm

1acrefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2007
    Georgia
    That is one of the reasons I raise my own. I know my birds are down right spoiled even though I may from time to time put one on the table. I think my eggs and meat is healthier for it. Atleast I know I am not paying someone to torture a bird. I like a local henhouse. If I had to buy eggs I would buy direct from them although they sell to the local stores. They are an older operation so they do not have cages. The hens are in older poultry houses that are not exactly eye appealing modern ones. They do get to move around in those houses though. That is not exactly freerange but they have it better than some.

9. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    I have been saying this all along, Cage free, Organic, all natural is Bull S*&%#. If these chicken farms are able to supply major grocery stores like Kroger, Wal-mart and many others with eggs then whether they are in a cage or not is irrelevant. They are still crammed by the thousands in these building with artificial light. I HATE IT. And if I hear one more moron comment on the Organic brown fresh eggs at the grocery store I am going to scream! Just because they are brown does not mean that they are true free range organic eggs. You want organic, fresh eggs GET SOME CHICKENS!

Am I alone in this?

10. DoctorGoose

DoctorGoose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2007
    Woodinville,WA
    here, here, herechickchick! Although cage-free is indeed so much better than battery cages, wow, those hens were crammed in there! and that line about chickens not wanting to go outside??? Of course they do! [​IMG] [​IMG]

So...If I have a white rock, I should get white eggs, right? And yes, silkiechicken, Tiberius should be laying black eggs! I HAVE A MUTANT CHICKEN!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by