cage ideas?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by nhblond, Mar 19, 2011.

1. nhblond

nhblond Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Okay, so after I got my first quail about a month or so ago (pair of Bob-whites) I guess I got so excited by them that I ordered a dozen Button hatching eggs.... thinking that they could live in our barn like the other birds.....
    Now I realize that they will have to be indoor birds and live in the house. That is fine, just means I need to go ahead with original plan and get more Bob-whites, and other outdoor varieties [​IMG]
    So, the Button will be living in the house. There are 16 eggs in the incubator right now on day 10. Don't know how many will hatch, but I was looking for cage building ideas for them. What are all of you keeping yours in? I have lots of bird cages, but I know they need more horizontal room than vertical, so won't plan on using them.
    Got any ideas/ suggestions?
    Sorry if I scared you Quail-lady by thinking they could live outside... I have come to my senses!

2. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    I would set up a bachelor pen for all of the ones without a mate. You can use an old chest or something of the sort. For the pairs you can section off a book shelf for them.

3. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    I am sorry I must have missed your pm! It's been busy here. You can use a parakeet cage for each pair, just take the wire bottom out as their feet are tiny and can get sores on wire. I use special made cages for button quail by brackenridge ranch. But I would believe you can make them similar:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by