cage material

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Mhg1523, Feb 1, 2015.

1. Mhg1523

Mhg1523 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2015
    Apache Junction, Arizona
    [​IMG]

Will this fence material work? Or is the gap to big. I have like 150 ft left over from a fence project.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
  2. orumpoultry

orumpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2012
    Trinity, TX
    I use that on my coops but the gaps are big enough to limb a chicken through. Predators can tear through that if they really want in, too. But it holds in the birds mighty fine!

3. Mhg1523

Mhg1523 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2015
    Apache Junction, Arizona
    So pretty much I should stick with Hardware Cloth? What size and gauge?

4. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Welcome! You can use the welded wire over the hardware cloth for extra security. Woven wire is tougher but more expensive, and necessary for horses. Hardware cloth will keep your chickens a whole lot safer! Mary

5. orumpoultry

orumpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2012
    Trinity, TX

Edited to add: Use 1/2 x 1/2 or 1/4 x 1/4. Smaller holes = harder for predators.

If you use the welded wire just be prepared that one day you will take a loss from it.

Like I said I use it.. On everything. Cages, pens, etc. I know losses will come but its pretty tough stuff over all.

Hardware cloth beats it a hundred times over, when used correctly. Its also a pain to cut and can be difficult to work with. Not so much like that welded wire you have pictured. Its all up to you, in the end, as hardware cloth can be expensive. I don't use it on anything except the quail and rabbits for that reason only. If I could afford it on all of my pens, I would use it.

Raccoons, opossums, skunks, they can all reach through the welded wire. If they can grab your birds, they'll pull them through one piece at a time. Bigger predators will just rip the wire.

Hardware cloth is stronger and has smaller holes, making it much more difficult for predators. If applied correctly ( I.e. Bolted down not just stapled )

Last edited: Feb 1, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by