1. Irishhenman

Irishhenman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2013
    Ireland
    Hi, I am going to get a shed to help me breed my chickens. My plans are to have 8 cages in it for keeping chicks, broodies, show birds before shows and sick birds. My question is what size should the cages be. I was thinking about 2.5'x2.5'x2.5' but I am starting to wonder is that a bit small. The cages would be on opposite walls of the shed and in stacks (for want of a better word) of two screwed into the wall.
    Thanks

2. SD Bird Lady

SD Bird Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

What types of birds do you intend to raise/show? Bantam or Large fowl? Leghorn vs Orpington vs Brahma

3. Irishhenman

Jul 2, 2013
    Ireland
    large fowl sulmtalers, barnevelders and orpington

4. thomasboyle

thomasboyle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    Northwest Hills of CT
    Definitely depends on the size of chickens you are raising. I have leghorns, rhode islands, mallard and pekins and I keep my eyes open at yard sales and Craigslist for dog crates, the type made of heavy black wire fencing. I can usually get them for around $10 or so. The better ones have 2 doors, one on the end, and one on the side. I have 8 of them in different sizes to house sick or injured birds, or chicks and ducklings etc. Something 30x30x30 should be plenty big for 1 adult, or more babies. The smallest dog crate I keep an adult chicken in is 24x30x20. This is big enough to have a roosting area, nesting area and feeding area. I picked up a number of small 1 cup hanging plastic feeder cups at Petco for a couple bucks each and use them for food and water. They hang off the wire walls and work well. I make my roosts from 2x3 wood, and notch the ends so they fit in between the bars on the opposite sides of the crate.

5. Irishhenman

Jul 2, 2013
    Ireland
    I will be making the cages myself, I was just wondering how big they should be. I him I will go ahead with 2.5' so

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by