Cage Syndrome

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Griffin Nest, Jun 25, 2011.

1. Griffin Nest

Griffin Nest Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2010
    California
    My 2 week old chicks were showing severe 'cage syndrome' (running back and forth in one side of the cage, stepping all over each other, tipping their food and water, and chirping REALLY loud) in their old brooder, so over the weekend my dad and i built an enormous cage so the chicks would stop showing cage syndrome. We have a problem. They stopped being loud, but they still run back and forth in one side of the cage!!! They STILL step all over each other even though the cage has 12 square feet!! They have PLENTY of room, yet they are staying in one spot and running back and forth. Is this just because they are scared and new to the cage? OR will they keep doing this!! I don't want them to get hurt and it's stressing me out! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 25, 2011
  2. classicsredone

classicsredone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Sacramento County, CA
    Without seeing it, it is a guess....but my chicks at 2 weeks were crazy. They ran back and forth, tackled each other, ran over the feeders, etc. These guys had a HUGE brooder, too. We ordered 26 chicks, and all but 3 died. We picked up 5 at the feed store, so there were 8 chicks in a 15 sqf brooder.

3. Griffin Nest

Aug 7, 2010
    California
    Quote:did they ever stop?

4. classicsredone

classicsredone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Sacramento County, CA
    Yeah, eventually their behavior changed as they feathered out completely. Little chicks love to play chase with things like pieces of string cheese, wheat berry sprouts, etc. They're in a moody, pubescent phase right now.

5. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Yep- more like "crazy chick syndrome" . At 10 weeks old, everytime my chicks see me they run up to the fence, pace back and forth and step all over each other. They are in a huge outdoor run in the big coop with the rest of the flock. Maybe your babies are just super excited to see you [​IMG]

6. Griffin Nest

Aug 7, 2010
    California
    My chicks act like this all of the time though, even when im not out there. They are being VERY loud and I don't know why. I'm afraid that they will disturb the neighbors because i don't have a big backyard at ALL and it's very dense here and the houses are all connected, so the neighbors can hear everything. How do I make them stop?

7. AccentOnHakes

AccentOnHakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    If they're loud, something's wrong.

Are they too cold? Do they have enough food and water? Did you check each of them for pasty butt?

8. ReikiStar

ReikiStar Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Excellent point! Esp. on the temperature. Are they too hot? Are they trying to get away from the crazy chick roasting lamp?

You've called your brooder a "cage" can they really see out? We've found, for our chicks, giving them the ability to see out calms them down but also having some walls to block drafts so they have both privacy and viewing windows to see who's coming creates a safe feeling environment.

9. Griffin Nest

Aug 7, 2010
    California
    Quote:Excellent point! Esp. on the temperature. Are they too hot? Are they trying to get away from the crazy chick roasting lamp?

You've called your brooder a "cage" can they really see out? We've found, for our chicks, giving them the ability to see out calms them down but also having some walls to block drafts so they have both privacy and viewing windows to see who's coming creates a safe feeling environment.

they do not have a lamp at all because its 80 degrees outside. they have food, water, and a large cave they can hide in. its a cage and they can see out all around. i just cleaned it too.
    all they keep doing is running back and forth on one side stepping all over each other. the cage is HUGE!! It's not like they don't have anywhere else to go. They chirp loud all day. They look clean to me and i checked all of them. I have no idea why they are all so loud.

10. magsrags

magsrags Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Staten Island NY
    My idea on this is they have no mommy to hide/warm up under....and no brooder light as well. Babies are babies....they need warmth/comfort or they cry. Simple as that. :<)

they do not have a lamp at all because its 80 degrees outside. they have food, water, and a large cave they can hide in. its a cage and they can see out all around. i just cleaned it too.
    all they keep doing is running back and forth on one side stepping all over each other. the cage is HUGE!! It's not like they don't have anywhere else to go. They chirp loud all day. They look clean to me and i checked all of them. I have no idea why they are all so loud.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by