cage wire? where to get

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by mominoz, Feb 7, 2011.

1. mominoz

mominoz Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    North Georgia
    Anybody got a good vendor , best price, [​IMG] for 24" cage wire 1/2 X 1" ?I'd like some for my duck cages. I can't get that size locally. I am in the Southeast.

2. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    Southeast where? I buy my wire from Lowes.

3. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Try Davidsons:

http://www.wadavidson.com/

That's where I buy all of my wire. I get the 19 gauge vinyl coated. It's a very good product and I like this company. They don't overcharge on shipping, either.

4. thechickonthehill

thechickonthehill Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2009
    Sadieville, KY
    Quote:If you have a local Tractor Supply check there as they often carry it.

5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    A lot of feed stores (not chains like TSC, but individual locally-owned places) will order you a roll of wire if you ask, assuming you WANT a whole roll and it is something their supplier carries.

Worth asking anyhow.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

6. Newbie in Screamer Al

Newbie in Screamer Al Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2011
    I just used 1x2 14 ga. wire for my run, and the best price I found here in Bama was Ace Hardwae believe it or not. They order me 100 ft rolls 5 and 6 ft wide. But I know they have all sizes and gauges available. Call for a price..

7. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    When you're pricing wire, be sure to understand what you're getting so you can compare pricing properly. Galvanized wire comes in two basic kinds: galvanized before weld (GBW), and galvanized after weld (GAW). GBW wire is cheaper and not as strong because the welding strips away some of the zinc where the horizontal wire meets the vertical wire which makes these connections vulnerable to rusting. GAW is more expensive and typically a better product than the GBW. I bought some cheap GBW wire to use for an apron for my last run and noticed as I was installing how easily the welds broke. I never had that happen with any of the GAW wire I've used before.

Another point of comparison is the thickness of the wire, or the guage. The lower the gauge, the thicker (stronger) the wire, and the more expensive. Finally, there's wire spacing, the size of the spaces between the horizontal and vertical wires. The smaller the spacing, the more expensive the product (all things otherwise being equal).

8. mominoz

mominoz Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    North Georgia
    thanks I know about gauge,but not after weld...I want 1/2 X1 for the floor and sides of mini-duck pens I want to put on stilts. I have one on the ground made of 2X2 and then covered in hardware cloth, but it is in a 2nd fenced day yard with hot wire. I want to build I can move outside the day yard , but still in a 4ft. fence so my dogs or anything else couldn't tear the wire or get anything..plus the wire is sturdier/stiffer than the one I have on the ground. I live between Atlanta and Chattanooga... and the TS here only carry 30" tall. I want 2 ft tall.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by