1. Blisschick

Blisschick not rusty

Feb 20, 2007
    Shepherd, Texas
    Where would I find wire to build cages with? I know it's stouter than fencing wire with narrower holes, and I know I can get the clips to put one together, but I've never looked for the wire, so really have no idea where to buy it. Would I find it at a hardware store or a feedstore?

2. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

You used to be able to buy it anywhere around here, but lately it has gotten so expensive lots of places do not carry it anymore. We have to buy ours from a man that buys his by the ton, and it is still outrageous. Every city is different so call all of your feed and farm supply places and see what you can find. Cage wire also comes in different gauges so make sure you get some that is stout enough to tote what you are going to put in it.

3. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    19 gauge hardware cloth is too flimsy for cages. You need a roll of 14 or 16 gauge welded wire in whatever mesh (1x1 or 2x2) and width (24", 36", 48") you desire for your cages. Try the local feedstore or livestock supply. You can search google for info on building cages.

4. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I built my cages with 1/2" hardware cloth.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by