1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

caged hens- fertilized eggs??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by klf73, Nov 6, 2008.

1. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I don't have any pullets laying yet, so I have to get my eggs at the grocery store still. I cannot afford the "real" eggs because my family is so large, it's just too expensive. With that aside, I was reading the egg carton and it says "caged hens" etc. I was cracking the eggs open and all were fertilized [​IMG] . Is this the way it always is? I never noticed before. Of course I had to bring some to room temp to throw in the bator, scientific purposes of course [​IMG] (I know it's been done, but was still curious)

2. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Exactly what did you see that makes you think they were fertilized?

3. chickensforever

chickensforever Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    That really doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Could you have been looking at blood spots or something?

4. chickenlady

chickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2007
    Stillwater, NJ
    What do you mean 'real' eggs? What brand are these eggs? Was this a regular grocery store? Sounds odd they would be fertile. Let us know about the incubation!

5. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    They all have the bullseye that someone posted pics of (can't remember exactly who it was) to tell that the eggs were fertile. What I meant by "real" eggs was the higher priced eggs that are free range etc.(which I was told taste better, I don't know) Sorry, bad choice of words. How about I just bought the cheap eggs [​IMG] The box says they are fresh local eggs. I guess I will see if they are fertilized...

6. chickenlady

chickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2007
    Stillwater, NJ
    Cheap eggs, lol, thats what I buy too. the cheaper the better, lol. Well, until my girls decide to earn their keep anyway. If it just says fresh local eggs, maybe they do get if from a local farm and they could be fertile if that is the case.

Is the bator fired up and ready??[​IMG] Would love to see if these develop.

7. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    yes, I just set some bc marans yesterday, so the bator is going [​IMG]

8. purr

purr Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    east freetown, ma
    when you say fertilized do you mean they were starting to grow cause you can eat fertile eggs.

9. Colored Egg Farmer

Colored Egg Farmer Chicken overload

There caged eggs and fertalized... that very uncommon. That would mean there would have to be a rooster in almost every cage.... So that farmer really didn't do a good job sexing or you might me seeing the wrong thing. Having a rooster in every cage would not be very profitable for that farmer.

10. Adri

Adri Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2008
    I had been getting farm fresh fertilized Brahma eggs from a friend over the past year, and when I bought some eggs from the grocery store, I was surprised that some, but not all of them, appeared to be fertilized too. The company's website says that they are not fertilized because there is no rooster in their barns, so I really wish that I had photographed the fertilized eggs that we saw. I wish I had an incubator going to attempt what you are doing! I'm interested to hear what happens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by