1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

cages for chickens

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by chixrus, Jul 27, 2009.

1. chixrus

chixrus Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2008
    where do i find cages for my chickens to show them in? my fair provides them, but if i want to practice, i have to have one of my own.

2. valentinebaby

valentinebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Sherman-Denison, TX
    My local feed store sells them - check your local stores!

3. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

I train mine with small dog crates. TSC and most other feed stores sell them.

4. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    Not sure what kind of cages that your fair uses, some use rabbit cages, and you can buy those at any feed store usually.
    However, if you want the REAL DEAL, the cages meant for shows and so forth, Keippers Cooping has them - http://keippercooping.com/

5. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    i do the same thing (train for a show) i use hanging rabbit cages...i also raise bantams in hanging rabbit cages the fit a pair just right my LF fit in their long enough to practice for maybe an hour they dont like it but theyll live [​IMG]

6. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    What is a hanging rabbit cage?

7. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    Quote:Im still at training chickens for show [​IMG]

8. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:Im still at training chickens for show [​IMG]

Huh? I just want to know what it is? I've never seen a rabbit cage designed to hang--closest is that I have some with carrying handles.

I know the discussion is about cages for training chickens for show--but these were mentioned as appropriate. While cages can be designed for one animal, they can certainly be appropriate for use with others as well.

9. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:Its one of the rabbit cages that you can get from TSC and you can attach wire to it and hang it from the rafters in you barn..

Chris

10. chickentracy

chickentracy Out Of The Brooder

A Related question to those who exhibit....

What does everyone use for transporting their show birds to the shows?
    Pictures would be great!

I am working on constructing some"Bank unit" travel cages for the upcoming shows next month.

I used to use dog crates (plastic ones) until I lost one of my best Partridge Cochin hens to heat stroke on a short 20 min trip to a show last Summer. [​IMG]

I exhibit bantams and large fowl (chickens, ducks, turkeys, and geese. So I'm interested in seeing travel caging for all sizes of poultry. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by