Cages for Show Birds.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by coonriver, Mar 23, 2011.

1. coonriver

coonriver Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Sac City,Iowa
    Does anybody breed there birds that you use for showing?do you show before you breed them?I was also wondering about keeping birds in wire cages that you are going to show do you have wire on the bottoms or a hard floor with bedding?i have some feather footed birds and would think a hard floor with wood shavings would be best for there foot feathers.Thanks!

2. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    Quote:I breed for show, I breed from jan to june most of the shows i go to are in the fall, I try to have my booted on grass then had floor with thick layer of shavings, but my d'uccles seam to do better on wire, even the foot feathers, a lot depends on the size of your wire. i'm breeding right now

here's my lastest set of booted's

[​IMG]

3. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    ive used both i like wood floor with bedding better pen have to bigenuf where bird dont break feathers if there ruff breeders the dont make good show birds

4. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    all my breeding is done before molt, thats why i breed for jan to june, after breeding the show birds get seperated or in areas that are very big with special feed and TLC

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by