1. arlock

arlock Out Of The Brooder

Jan 19, 2013
    Michigan's "thumb"
    Does anyone know of any plans or designs to make DIY cages for chickens? Before anyone reminds me of the cruelty of battery cages, The cages would be used for two purposes. First, for recuperation of birds that get hurt in one way or another, and second for the purposes of testing the productivity of hens to determine rate of lay (Does Ms. chicken get bred and her eggs get hatched, or is she left in general population to solely produce table eggs). They would be housed singly for 7-14 days at most for the layers, and as short as possible for the "patients."

2. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

I can't comment on a source for cage designs but one thing to consider is that hens may get stressed and stop laying, or lay sporadically, if taken out of their everyday environment, away from her flock, and cooped up in a small cage. Especially for a week or two at a time. So I'm not sure how reliable the results of such a productivity test would be.

3. johnlogan

johnlogan Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2013
    People do build breeding pens for 2-3 chickens. Another option might be trap nesting.

4. Demosthine

Demosthine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2012
    Phoenix, Arizona
    I agree with what Farm Girl said about the stress. I think it'll throw off your results.

However, a good option might be a large dog kennel. My largest kennel is probably 3'x2'x3' and is more than big enough for a single adult hen. I would not use it long term, but for the purposes you describe...

You can often find them on Craig's List for free or really cheap.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by