Cain or Able - which do I give away?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Smorz, Jan 10, 2015.

1. Smorz

Smorz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2014
    Do roosters molt? I have two roosters left (and 6 hens). I had sold one to a lady and it died with an upper respiratory ailment not too long after she purchased it (late November). I find that very odd since ALL of our chickens are fine and have never shown any sign of any troubles. BUT, we said we would give her one of the two remaining (cuz we are nice and we don't mind at all; basically have 1 too many roosters anyway). Since we want to breed our chickens (speckled Sussex, 7 mos. old), would their molting tell me something about their coloring that I am not seeing now? I am wondering if I should keep them till they molt and then choose which rooster. Other than feathering, I would say they are comparable.

2. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    I would wait as long as possible, both to evaluate your birds better, and to ask that she discover what's going on in her flock (or yours?). I have had a few SS< and love the hens, but have had some nasty males. If your cockrels turn out to be all good boys, I'd love to know where the breed in stock is from! Mary

3. Smorz

Smorz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2014
    Mary, so far my boys are great. Had a pack of 5 paling around together quite happily. That makes sense to wait, just in case something is going on. Good point.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by