Cake Plates

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Shelanie, Oct 22, 2008.

1. Shelanie

Shelanie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2008
    Southern California
    Does anyone use cake plates anymore? I had one I used constantly, bread, cupcakes, cookies, whatever. Often people commented on it but I thought it was because it was unique. I am coming to realize that it was probably more because people don't use them much anymore. My cake plate met its untimely death last week at the hands of HORNS, my 6 year old son. Anyway I have been looking all over for a new one and it seems they are no longer a popular item. Is it a generation thing or maybe a demographics thing (Im in So. Cal)? I might just have to buy one online I guess. Anyone have any ideas? My local Walmart and K-mart didnt have any.

2. pitzerlady

pitzerlady New Egg

Jun 25, 2007
    winterset iowa
    I use cake plates that were my Mom's I love them! You might try flea markets -I've found alot of them here in Iowa!

3. kdcrws

kdcrws Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    L.C. FL
    I got one that doubles as a punch bowl @ JC Penney a few years ago. Try them

4. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    you could go to wal-mart or k-mart and get one of the punch bowl/cake dome combo thingies. i think they are made by Anchor Hocking. they are clear glass. they always have them.

you wouldn't notice them straight off as being what they are. it took me forever to figure out what i was looking for.

hope you find what you are looking for!

5. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I like to look in second hand stores and goodwill. I've seen them there.

6. robbobbin

robbobbin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2007
    Go to your local goodwill or 'junk' shop. I'll bet you'll have more luck in these shops.

7. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    I have a cake plate I got last year at Bed, Bath and Beyond. I am pretty sure you can still buy them.

Look at the nicer department stores like Macy's, look online, and go to glass and diningware shops (often you can find those kinds of shops at outlet malls).

8. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    I have an old depression glass cake plate that I got from my mother in law. Maybe there is one lurking in the back cabinet of a family member? I use mine all the time.

I have seen them at garage and estate sales often, plus I see them on ebay.

9. Frogdogtimestwo

Frogdogtimestwo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Target had some beautiful ones in not that long ago. Also a great place to find them is TJmaxx, Marshalls, or Ross discount stores if the ones in your area carry housewares.

10. poussin_noir

poussin_noir Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Katrine, Ontario
    I couldn't be without one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by