Caking poop from pecking injury...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by HorseshoeFallsFarm, Apr 4, 2018.

1. HorseshoeFallsFarm

HorseshoeFallsFarm Hatching

Apr 4, 2018
    Ok y’all I need some help on this one. I’ve seen similar posts but not quite the same. I’ve got a young hen, not yet ready to lay and around a month or so ago we tried introducing her to the flock along with some other hens. Well in the process she was injured. The other hens tore her a new butthole. Literally. She was injured pretty badly in the butt area and after being quarantined a for roughly a month and treating the injury it seems to be healing ok aside from one thing. She struggles to poop and when she does it cakes up. We’ve trimmed the feathers back to better treat the area and to help keep it clean. This problem persists and we don’t know how to fix it. She’s the sweetest hen and while I eventually harvest all my birds I want to give her the best chance I can. Any thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. It sounds like she has some damage to her vent which may make it difficult to poop. Does she lay eggs yet? Egg binding can be a possible problem with a damaged vent. I would give her about a tsp of mineral oil mixed into a small amount of wet chicken feed or chopped egg, to stimulate her to poop. Make sure that she is drinking plenty of water, and mixing a very wet bowl of chicken feed daily is a good way of getting more water into her. You can also pull of any dried droppings, and give her a soak in warm Epsom salts water.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: