Calcionate Syrup

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bigbird, Nov 15, 2016.

1. bigbird

bigbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2008
    Northern Kentucky
    Has anyone used this for their older laying hens? Just read that this may be necessary due to older hens not able to absorb regular oyster shell. If you are using it, what are your directions for use, and where have you bought it? Thanks

2. eyesimp

eyesimp New Egg

Mar 7, 2017
    This is a great question and I'm surprised you don't have an answer so I just joined and I'll take a shot. I have used it with an older hen to increase her calcium and help her recover from a prolapse. (Calcium helps with strengthening muscles.) Get a 1 ml syringe and give 0.2ml in her beak. Did it daily. It helped her.

I now have a brown egg layer that is laying white eggs after a period of producing bumpy brown ones with thin shells. I have no idea which hen it is so I'm going to put the syrup into everyone's water. (They get oyster shell in their food. In my experience that will clog a nipple waterer so I need a liquid. They also get kale in winter but someone needs a lot more for a boost.) I can't find any information on how much to use per gallon so I'm going to guess. Maybe 1/8 of a cup?? per gallon.

Other guesses are welcome.

3. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Welcome to BYC!Thanks for sharing!

4. eyesimp

eyesimp New Egg

Mar 7, 2017
    I bought it on Amazon. You can also ask a drugstore if they have it or can get it. Humans use it, too. Then there's Calcium Gluconate. I've never used it but it is available on Amazon and possibly at TCS or feed stores. I know nothing about it's use in chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by