Calcium Carbonate grit vs granite grit

dandread

Chirping
Oct 20, 2017
Seattle, WA
I have 5 month old chickens that I assume are close to laying. So I bought them layer pellets (never used pellets until now.) chickens not too enthused.

Since I traveled to the feed store that is a distance away I decided to buy a large bag grit since it is abiut 60% cheaper than the small bags I get.i was using 5/16 granite grit.

All they had was calcium carbonate grit in the large bags. I was hesitate to get it since it seems granite is what many use.

The store told me it would be fine and that many customers get it.

What do you think? Not too much calcium since they are not laying yet?

I have 5 month old chickens that I assume are close to laying. So I bought them layer pellets (never used pellets until now.) chickens not too enthused.

Since I traveled to the feed store that is a distance away I decided to buy a large bag grit since it is abiut 60% cheaper than the small bags I get.i was using 5/16 granite grit.

All they had was calcium carbonate grit in the large bags. I was hesitate to get it since it seems granite is what many use.

The store told me it would be fine and that many customers get it.

What do you think? Not too much calcium since they are not laying yet?
Whoever is labeling calcium carbonate as grit is committing fraud. Calcium carbonate is the same as giving oyster shell for laying hens. It is not grit and will not serve as grit.

B44964E2-8C8A-4130-9987-0AB551543908.jpeg

There is usually a high level of calcium carbonate in granite. Granite is formed when molten magma rises into close proximity to the Earth's surface which is rich in calcium carbonate or limestone. Limestone is nothing more than consolidated petrified oyster-shells.

Marble is another form of chicken grit and marble is almost exclusivity calcium carbonate and in addition marble is almost as hard as granite. Marble is calcium carbonate, limestone, or oyster-shells that has been put under extreme pressure and heat for a very long time.

There is usually a high level of calcium carbonate in granite. Granite is formed when molten magma rises into close proximity to the Earth's surface which is rich in calcium carbonate or limestone. Limestone is nothing more than consolidated petrified oyster-shells.

Marble is another form of chicken grit and marble is almost exclusivity calcium carbonate and in addition marble is almost as hard as granite. Marble is calcium carbonate, limestone, or oyster-shells that has been put under extreme pressure and heat for a very long time.
I don't know your source for this information but what I have read does not indicate that calcium carbonate is a large component of granite.

https://nature.berkeley.edu/classes/eps2/wisc/granite.html

The ingredients is ground limestone. So my chickens are not laying but at 18 weeks are close to laying. Should I wait to use this until they are laying.

They are doing some grazing every other day at a minimum of two hours. Our soil has a variety of sizes of peebles, dirt.

E44EEEDC-9497-4FF5-A1CD-3F277836FFA0.jpeg
E5C1EA1D-0627-44BA-A7BA-C42AE77B3E05.jpeg

The ingredients is ground limestone. So my chickens are not laying but at 18 weeks are close to laying. Should I wait to use this until they are laying.

They are doing some grazing every other day at a minimum of two hours. Our soil has a variety of sizes of peebles, dirt.
Based on these statements, you should not need to add grit. The stuff in the bags is an acceptable substitute for oyster shell for laying hens.

The company's claims that it is acceptable as grit is an outright lie. Calcium carbonate from crushed limestone is not an acceptable substitute for grit. It is far too soft to aid in grinding food and contains far too much calcium to be used for anything other than a calcium substitute.

Back
Top Bottom