Calcium carbonate sand

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by crtrlovr, Mar 9, 2009.

1. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

I saw some reptile sand at a local pet supply store that was made from calcium carbonate (the active ingredient in Tums) that is supposedly safer than regular silica-based sand. Has anyone ever tried providing this calcium carbonate sand for your chickens as a calcium supplement instead of the crushed oyster shells? It seems to me that it would be a good substitution; it's rather pricey but weighs a lot less and would be much easier to handle than the oyster shell (which for some strange reason is difficult to depend on having here in steady supply; the feed store I usually get it from runs out and then doesn't have any for a couple of weeks). Thoughts?

2. crtrlovr

anyone? reptile keepers? chicken experts? ???

3. Mom 2em All

Mom 2em All Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    well, I know that sand is not good for reptiles- it can cause blockages in their intestines when they ingest it- even though it claims to be safe, it isn't.

I would be worried about the same thing happening with my chickens. You can get oyster shell at the pet store too.

4. crtrlovr

Thanks for the input! I appreciate it. [​IMG]

5. NancyDz

NancyDz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    I buy a grit similar to that at the pet stores that is for small birds ( parakeets, finches) that I give to my quail and now my baby chicks. It's nice and small for the chicks. Seems to be fine, I've had no problems and it was less than a dollar for a box that is @ 2lbs. I would think it would be fine for Chickens and serve as a grit and calcium supplement. My chickens have
    sand in their run and have no problems with it.

Nancy

6. Ondra's Seramas

Ondra's Seramas Drowning in Seramas

Feb 19, 2009
    North Central WA
    I give my chicks some to prevent pastiness. It really works. It is better than regular sand because it can dissolve. I also keep hermit crabs so I need it for more than one reason.

7. neckringer

neckringer Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2008
    Where I buy my layer they put calcium carbonate in the layer itself as a ingredient during the mixng process for the calcium content to be higher. They sell bags of it for 5.00$ for 50 lbs. Much cheaper than any pet store

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by