Calcium carbonate

kkoolkev

Hatching
9 Years
Dec 1, 2010
hi i have been reading lots about eggs and calcium carbonate i read on one forum about crushing up antiacid tablets in their food!! i have managed to source a food grade calcium carbonate in a power form my question is is it safe to feed them powered calcium carbonate and if so how much? Or does the antiacid tablets crushed in the food seam a good idea? could i add the calcium carbonate to their water maybe any advice on this subject would be great!!

What's wrong with a bag of ground oyster shell from the feed store?

Antacid tablets sound ridiculous to me. Save your egg shells, dry them, crush them and feed them back to your birds.

A.T. Hagan :

Antacid tablets sound ridiculous to me. Save your egg shells, dry them, crush them and feed them back to your birds.

X2 and
welcome-byc.gif

A.T. Hagan :

welcome-byc.gif

X3 Amen! Oyster Shell would probably be MUCH cheaper and more natural for them! ETA: And your eggshells are FREE...love FREE!​

Last edited:
I just got a bag of this in place of oyster shells the feed store was out of. Dh went out and got the feed that day and the guy at the feed store said its just like oyster shells. My birds don't seem to like it at all. the stuff I got isn't powder its in chunks.

I don't know how chickens digestion works, but the reason they add calcium to antacid is because absorbtion of calcium is greatly reduced. It would be best to add the calcium to their food instead of their water. If you add to their water, you take away their ability to self-regulate. At the same time, you will get deposits in your waterer. That said, you shouldn't need much if you are feeding a commercial layer ration.

I've been feeding laver feed with oysters shells and extra by the grit for free feeding if they want but egg shells are still thin and I'm concerned should I add just a little calcium carbonate to the water and feed?

I've been feeding laver feed with oysters shells and extra by the grit for free feeding if they want but egg shells are still thin and I'm concerned should I add just a little calcium carbonate to the water and feed?

Hi @NewRenoNv

Can you give us some more information?

What type of layer feed are you giving?
What type of treats are giving and how much?
Are the oyster shells mixed with the feed?

IMHO oyster shell should be given free choice. You can place it in a container in the run or coop, scatter it in the run, etc. Personally I would not mix oyster shell in with the feed, this would dilute the feed and the hens would have to pick through the shell to get to the layer feed.

You also mention "extra by the grit for free feeding" - by this do you mean oyster shell or poultry grit. These are 2 separate things. Oyster shell is sometimes called "shell grit" depending on what part of the world you live in - this is ground/crushed oyster shell intended to supplement calcium in the chicken diet. There is also Poultry Grit which is usually crushed granite, this is small pieces of rock which the chicken uses to grind up foods in the gizzard. Personally I always have oyster shell available and I also make crushed granite (poultry grit) available as well - all free choice.

A general "rule" to follow when feeding layer feed is to limit treats to no more than 5-10% of their daily food intake. Make layer feed the main bulk of their nutrition. If you give scratch, then just a very small amount goes a long way. Give fresh greens, veggies and fruits for them to nibble on. Moderation is key.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom